Comparative Study of Nano- and Bulk La0.5Sr0.5Ti0.5Co0.5O3 Perovskite: Structural, Magnetic, and Transport Properties
In this paper, we report a detailed study of the structural, magnetic, and electrical transport properties of nano- and bulk La0.5Sr0.5Ti0.5Co0.5O3 perovskite with the aim to study the effect of size reduction on resistivity and the antiferromagnetic spin order that is seen in the bulk samples of the cobaltites. Both the phases crystallize with orthorhombic structure in the Pbnm space group. Size reduction causes an increase in both the lattice parameters and unit cell volume. The M–H curve of nanosample shows appearance of hysteresis and gives a clear evidence of the formation of ferromagnetic (FM) moments while almost no RT-FM behavior was found for bulk sample. The resistivity of the nanocrystalline sample has been found to be much lower than that of the bulk sample in the entire temperature range of investigation which could be due to the formation of ferromagnetic moments in the nanocrystallites.
KeywordsPechini method Crystal structure Magnetic properties Transport properties
The authors are also thankful to Dr. Harpreet Singh, Central Research Facility Section, Indian Institute of Technology Ropar, for recording XRD. Thanks are also due to Prof. Ramesh Chandra, Institute Instrumentation Centre, Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee, for recording EDX, SEM, and TEM. We are also thankful to the Director, Central Instruments Facility, Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati, for carrying out the M–H magnetic measurements.
The authors are thankful to the Department of Science and Technology, New Delhi for financial support under INSPIRE Program vide letter No. DST/INSPIRE Fellowship/2012/776 (IF120846).
- 21.Yan, W., Sun, L., Lui, M., Li, W.: Study of sensing characteristics of rare earth pervoskites for alcohol. Acta Sci. Nat. Uni. Jilin. 2, 52 (1991)Google Scholar
- 24.Pechini, M.P.: Method of preparing lead and alkaline earth titanates and niobates and coating method using the same to form a capacitor. US 3330697 A (1967)Google Scholar
- 25.Larson, A.C., Von Dreele, R.B.: General structure analysis system (GSAS). Los Alamos National Laboratory Report LAUR 86, 748 (2004)Google Scholar
- 28.Cullity, B.D., Stock, S.R.: Elements of X-ray diffraction. Prentice Hall, New Jersey (2001)Google Scholar
- 35.Durand, A.M., Belanger, D.P., Ye, F., Chi, S., Fernandez-Baca, J.A., Booth, C.H., Bhat, M.: Magnetism in nanoparticle LaCoO3. J. Phy. Condn. Matter 25, 38220 (2013)Google Scholar
- 38.Mott, N.F., Davies, E.A.: Electron processes in non-crystalline materials. Clarendon, Oxford (1979)Google Scholar
- 40.Mott, N.: Conduction in non-crystalline materials, p. 17. Oxford, Clarendon (1993)Google Scholar