Composite Ceramic Nd3+:YAG/Cr4+:YAG Laser Elements
We produce composite ceramic laser elements Nd3+:YAG/Cr4+:YAG using two different methods, i.e., (1) layer-by-layer uniaxial pressing in a metallic mold with sequential addition of appropriate portions of the powder; (2) stacking and pressing of previously uniaxially pressed tablets in a cold isostatic press. In lasers where composite ceramic Nd3+:YAG/Cr4+:YAG elements are used together with longitudinal diode pumping, we obtain the lasing regime for both types of active elements at a wavelength of 1,064 nm in the Q-switch mode. Lasers with ceramic composites produced by stacking and cold isostatic pressing of the previously pressed tablets demonstrate a slope efficiency (~30–33%) even higher than lasers with crystalline saturable absorber (~21%). Lasers based on ceramic composites manufactured by layer-by-layer pressing of powders have an efficiency of ~11–19%. Composites made by stacking and cold isostatic pressing of the previously pressed tablets demonstrate a generation threshold close to those in lasers with crystalline saturable absorbers.
Keywordscomposite ceramics laser elements Q-switch diode end pump
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.T. Kamimura, T. Okamoto, Y. L. Aung, et al., “Ceramic YAG composite with Nd gradient structure for homogeneous absorption of pump power,” in: Abstracts of CLEO 2007, Baltimore, Maryland (2007), CThT6.Google Scholar
- 9.A. Ikesue, T. Yoda, S. Nakayama, et al., “Fabrication and laser performance of polycrystal and single crystal Nd:YAG by advanced ceramic processing,” in: Abstracts of the 25th Annual Meeting of the Japan Society for Laser Reproduction (2005), I12.Google Scholar
- 13.H. Yagi, K. Takaichi, K. Ueda, et al., Opt. Mater., 15, 1338 (2005).Google Scholar
- 23.A. Shestakov, Photonics, 5, 30 (2007).Google Scholar
- 26.V. Balashov, Yu. Kopylov, V. Kravchenko, et al., “Fabrication of YAG:RE (RE=Yb, Nd, Cr) ceramics using divalent sintering aids,” in: Development Prospects within the Strategic Academic Units, Preprint MEPhI (2018), p. 106.Google Scholar