Fabrication of Al2O3 aerogel-SiO2 fiber composite with enhanced thermal insulation and high heat resistance
- 14 Downloads
The thermal-resistance Al2O3 aerogels and Al2O3 aerogel-SiO2 fiber composite by using inorganic aluminum salt as the precursor were synthesized by the sol–gel process. The method was straightforward, inexpensive, and safe. Furthermore, it was found that the as-prepared Al2O3 aerogel had high crystal phase transition temperature. As the heat treatment temperature increased to 900 °C, the crystal phase transition from γ-AlOOH to γ-Al2O3 occurred within the Al2O3 aerogel. Meanwhile, the Al2O3 aerogel-SiO2 fiber composite exhibited high Young’s modulus of tensile strength up to 6.59 MPa and low thermal conductivity at 35 °C (0.028 W/(m K)) and high temperature of 600 °C (0.033 W/(m K)). In addition, the results indicated that the Al2O3 aerogel-SiO2 fiber composite had the moderate hydrophobic property as well as mechanical property.
KeywordsAl2O3 aerogel-SiO2 fiber composite Inorganic aluminum salt Thermal insulation Thermal stability
This research was financially supported by Sichuan Science and Technology Program (No. 2018RZ0127), the Project of State Key Laboratory of Environment-friendly Energy Materials, Southwest University of Science and Technology (Nos. 17FKSY0111 and 18zxhk16) and the Doctoral Research Fund of Southwest University of Science and Technology (No. 16zx7142).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no competing interest.
- 2.S. Zhao, Z. Zhang, G. Sèbe, R. Wu, R.V.R. Virtudazo, P. Tingaut, M.M. Koebel, Multiscale assembly of superinsulating silica aerogels within silylated nanocellulosic scaffolds: improved mechanical properties promoted by nanoscale chemical compatibilization. Adv. Funct. Mater. 25, 2326–2334 (2015)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.B. Wang, Y.R. Wang, Effect of fiber diameter on thermal conductivity of the electrospun carbon nanofiber mats. Adv. Mater. Res. 332–334, 672–677 (2011)Google Scholar
- 20.F. Cao, L. Ren, X.J. Li, Synthesis of high strength monolithic alumina aerogels at ambient pressure. Res. Adv. 5, 18025–18028 (2015)Google Scholar
- 41.M.M. Liu, J.C. Liu, M.C. Wang, Z.Q.J. Yun, Preparation and properties of SiO2/Al2O3–SiO2 fiber mat composite materials. Key Eng. Mater. 680, 129–132 (2016)Google Scholar
- 50.H. Chen, X.Y. Sui, C.L. Zhou et al., Preparation and characterization of mullite fiber-reinforced Al2O3–SiO2 aerogel composites. Key Eng. Mater. 697, 360–363 (2016)Google Scholar