Waste Eggshells for the Decoration of Carbon Nanotubes and Graphene Nanosheets with Hydroxyapatite for Preparation of LLDPE Nanocomposites
- 49 Downloads
Waste eggshells were used to decorate functionalized carbon nanotubes (CNT) and graphene oxide (GO) by hydroxyapatite (HAP) using in situ synthesis. The HAP decorated CNT and GO were characterized by X-ray diffraction, SEM, and IR spectroscopic techniques. CNT-HAP and GO-HAP were further used to prepare polymer nanocomposites by addition of different percentages of synthesized CNT-HAP and GO-HAP as fillers into linear low density polyethylene (LLDPE). The prepared nanocomposites specimens were utilized for physical and thermo-mechanical analysis. Mechanical properties of the LLDPE nanocomposites were improved with increasing the percentage of CNT-HAP and GO-HAP fillers compared to the pristine LLDPE. Hardness of hybrid-CNT-HAP/LLDPE composite was increased as compared to the GO-HAP/LLDPE, where as tensile strength of the GO-HAP/LLDPE was higher than that of the CNT-HAP/LLDPE composite. Flammability of CNT-HAP and GO-HAP composites was decreased by 32% as compared to the pristine LLDPE.
KeywordsHydroxyapatite Carbon nanotube Graphene oxide LLDPE Polymer nanocomposite Waste eggshells
This work is supported by the SERB New Delhi Govt. of India startup research grant awarded to Dr. H. D. Jirimali File No. SB/FT/CS–037/2014.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that there is no conflict of interest regarding the publication of this article.
- 7.Adeosun S, Usman M (2014) Characterization of LDPE reinforced with calcium carbonate—fly ash hybrid filler. J Miner 2:334–345Google Scholar
- 11.Ghani SA, Young HC (2010) Conductive polymer based on Polyaniline–Eggshell powder (PANI-ESP) Composites. J Phys Sci 21:81–97Google Scholar
- 13.Taylor P et al (2013) Application of calcined eggshell powder as functional filler for high density polyethylene. Polym Plast Technol Eng 2559:37–41Google Scholar
- 19.Abdulrahman I et al (2014) From garbage to biomaterials: an overview on egg shell based hydroxyapatite. J Mater 2014:6Google Scholar
- 21.Cook SD, Thomas KA, Kay JF, Jarcho M (1988) Hydroxyapatite-coated titanium for orthopedic implant applications. Clin Orthop Related Res 232:225–243Google Scholar
- 22.Rončevic IS, Grubač Z, Metikoš-Huković M (2014) Electrodeposition of hydroxyapatite coating on AZ91D alloy for biodegradable implant application. Int J Electrochem Sci 9:5907–5923Google Scholar
- 27.Taylor P et al (2014) Polymer-plastics technology and engineering melt processing and characterization of nanocomposites of PP/Na MMT blending with hyperbranched polyester melt processing and characterization of nanocomposites of PP/Na þ MMT blending with hyperbranched polyester. Polym Plast Technol Eng. https://doi.org/10.1080/03602559.2014.886064 CrossRefGoogle Scholar