Modification of Novel Chitosan-Starch Cross-Linked Derivatives Polymers: Synthesis and Characterization
- 37 Downloads
This paper reports on the synthesis and characterization of cross-linked chitosan products prepared from using crab, shrimp beads and ten different cross-linked polymers which includes; glutaraldehyde, formaldehyde, epichlorohydrine, maleic anhydride, p-benzoquinone, poly (ethylene) glycol diglycidyl ether (PEG diglycidyl ether), 1-vinyl-2-pyrrolidone, 1,3-dichloroaceone, acrylic acid and s-methyl-benzylamine. Characterization of the cross-liked chitosan products was done using Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR) and scanning electron microscope (SEM) to determine the structural morphology and the stretching frequencies of the products. The obtained FTIR stretching frequencies of the cross-linked chitosan products were matched against the starting material and the literature values to confirm the products. SEM analysis showed mixtures of regular and amorphous products. Different percentage yields (crab, 26–98% and shrimp, 30–88%) were obtained for the cross-linked chitosan products depending on the cross-linked polymer used.
KeywordsChitosan bead Chitosan-starch cross-linked derivatives Synthesis and characterization
The authors would like to thank the National Research Foundation of South Africa for the financial assistance and the Physics department of the University of the Free State for the FTIR analysis.
- 8.Schmuhl R, Krieg HM, Keizer K (2001) Adsorption of Cu (II) and Cr (II) ions by chitosan: kinetics and equilibrium studies. Water SA 27(1):1–8Google Scholar
- 9.Saravanan D, Hemalatha R, Sudha PN (2011) Synthesis and characterization of cross-linked chitin/bentonite polymer blend and adsorption studies of Cu (II) and Cr (VI) on chitin. Der Pharm Chem 3(6):406–424Google Scholar
- 10.Ogha K, Kurauchi Y, Yanase H (1987) Adsorption of Cu2+ Or Hg2+ Ion On Resins Prepared By Crosslinking Metal-Complexed Chitosans. Bull Chem Soc Jpn 60:446–446Google Scholar
- 15.Kayama Y Y and Taniguchi A (2011) Adsorption of Hg2+,Cu2+and zn2+ ions from solution using formaldehyde cross-linked modified chitosan-thioglyceraldehyde Schiff’s base. Int J Biol macromol 50(3):773–7781Google Scholar
- 17.Abdulkarim A, Isa AMT, Abdulsalam S, Muhammad AJ, Ameh AO (2013) Extraction and characterization of chitin and chitosan from mussel shell. Civil Environ Res 3(2):108–111Google Scholar