The Influence of Cooper and Chromium Ions on the Production of Exopolysaccharide and Polyhydroxybutyrate by Rhizobium tropici LBMP-C01
- 35 Downloads
The influence of bivalent copper (Cu2+) and hexavalent chromium (Cr6+) ions on exopolysaccharide (EPS) and polyhydroxybutyrate (PHB) production by the bacterium Rhizobium tropici LBMP-C01 was investigated. The partial structure of both biopolymers produced by rhizobia were characterized, and the quantification of exoR and exoZ gene expression by real-time polymerase chain reaction (Real-Time PCR) was also investigated. Results showed that the supplementation with Cu2+ for 144 h induced an increase in the production of EPS by 48% and PHB by 46.66% compared to the control. Expression studies revealed that the expressed exoR and exoZ genes were affected by metal ion treatment. It can be stated that this particular rhizobial strain is a future potential candidates to produce super adsorbent quite useful for soil bioremediation.
KeywordsExopolysaccharide Polyhydroxybutyrate Heavy metals Rhizobia
We thank the financial support of CAPES (Coordination of Improvement of Higher Level Personnel), the graduate program in Agricultural Microbiology (Universidade Estadual Paulista, UNESP-FCAV) and the Electronic Microscopy Laboratory (University of São Paulo, USP–Ribeirão Black-SP). The preparation of primer pairs for evaluation of gene expression was performed by Dr. Silvana Pompea of Val de Moraes. In the analyzes of FTIR we counted with the help of Dr Luis Alberto Conalgo, of Embrapa Instrumentação Agropecuária, Brazilian Company of Agricultural Research, São Carlos, Brazil. Also we thank for text review by Dr Manoel Victor Franco Lemos, UNESP Campus Jaboticabal, Brazil.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The author(s) declare that they have no competing interests.
- 2.Castellane et al (2018) Exploring and utilization of some bacterial exopolysaccharide. Biopolym Res 2(1):1000106Google Scholar
- 12.Abinaya M, Vaseeharan B, Divya M, Sharmili A, Govindarajan M, Alharbi NS,et al (2018) Bacterial exopolysaccharide (EPS)-coated ZnO nanoparticles showed high antibiofilm activity and larvicidal toxicity against malaria and Zika virus vectors. J Trace Elem Med Biol 45:93–103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtemb.2017.10.002 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Ormeño-Orrillo E, Menna P, Almeida LGP, Ollero FJ, Nicolás MF, Rodrigues EP, Nakatani AS, Batista JSS, Chueire LMO, Souza RC, Vasconcelos ATR, Megías M, Hungria M, Martínez-Romero E (2012) Genomic basis of broad host range and environmental adaptability of Rhizobium tropici CIAT 899 and Rhizobium sp. PRF 81 which are used in inoculants for common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). BMC Genom 13:735CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Schue M, Fekete A, Ortet P, Brutesco C, Heulin T, Schmitt-Kopplin P et al. (2011) Modulation of metabolism and switching to biofilm prevail over exopolysaccharide production in the response of Rhizobium alamii to cadmium. PLoS ONE 6:e26771. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0026771 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 35.Thompson JD, Higgins DG, Gibson TJ (1994) Clustal-W-improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res 22(22):4673–4680. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/22.22.4673 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 36.Hall TA (1999) BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symp Ser 41:95–98.Google Scholar
- 49.Aguilera M, Quesada MT, Del Aguila VG, Morillo JA, Rivadeneyra MA, Ramos-Cormenzana A, Monteoliva-Sánchez M (2008) Characterisation of Paenibacillus jamilae strains that produce exopolysaccharide during growth on and detoxification of olive mill wastewaters. Biores Technol 99:5640–5644CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 57.Robinson NJ, Winger DR (2010) Review: copper metallochaperones. Annu Rev Biochem 79:537–562. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-biochem-030409-143539 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar