Gaussian Noise Removal in an Image using Fast Guided Filter and its Method Noise Thresholding in Medical Healthcare Application
- 13 Downloads
A new denoising algorithm using Fast Guided Filter and Discrete Wavelet Transform is proposed to remove Gaussian noise in an image. The Fast Guided Filter removes some part of the details in addition to noise. These details are estimated accurately and combined with the filtered image to get back the final denoised image. The proposed algorithm is compared with other existing filtering techniques such as Wiener filter, Non Local means filter and bilateral filter and it is observed that the performance of this algorithm is superior compared to the above mentioned Gaussian noise removal techniques. The resultant image obtained from this method is very good both from subjective and objective point of view. This algorithm has less computational complexity and preserves edges and other detail information in an image.
KeywordsFast guided filter Method noise Wavelet thresholding
Compliance with ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
This paper has not communicated anywhere till this moment, now only it is communicated to your esteemed journal for the publication with the knowledge of all co-authors.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 3.Vermaa A. and Shrey A., Image Denoising in Wavelet Domain, 1–10.Google Scholar
- 4.Sairam, R. M., Sharma, S., and Gupta, K., Study of Denoising Method of Images-A Review. Journal of Engineering Science and Technology Review 8(5):41–48, 2013.Google Scholar
- 5.Gonzalez, R. C., and Richard, E. W., Image processing. Digital image processing 2, 2007.Google Scholar
- 8.Sairam, R. M., Sharma, S., and Gupta, K., Study of Denoising Method of Images-A Review, 2013.Google Scholar
- 10.Steidl, G., and Weickert, J., Relations between soft wavelet shrinkage and total variation denoising. In: Van Gool, L. (Ed.), Pattern Recognition, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 2449. Berlin: Springer, 2002, 198–205.Google Scholar
- 11.Steidl, G., Weickert, J., Brox, T., Mrázek, P., and Welk, M., On the equivalence of soft wavelet shrinkage, total variation diffusion, total variation regularization, and SIDEs, Technical Report, Series SPP-1114. Germany: Department of Mathematics, University of Bremen, 2003.Google Scholar
- 13.Buades, A., Coll, B., and Morel, J. M., Non-local means denoising. Image Processing On Line:208–212, 2011.Google Scholar
- 14.Raghuvanshi, D., Singh, H., Jain, P., and Mathur, M., Comparative Study of Non-Local Means and Fast Non–Local Means Algorithm for Image Denoising. International Journal of Advances in Engineering & Technology 4(2):247–254, 2012.Google Scholar
- 16.Dabov, A., Foi, V., Katkovnik, K. E., and Member, S., Image denoising by sparse 3d transform domain collaborative filtering. IEEE Trans. Image Process. 16, 2007, 2007.Google Scholar
- 21.Varsha, A., and Basu P., An improved dual tree complex wavelet transform based image denoising using GCV thresholding., Computational Systems and Communications (ICCSC), First International Conference on IEEE, 2014.Google Scholar
- 22.Pham, C. C., Ha, U., and Jeon, J. W., Adaptive guided image filtering for sharpness enhancement and noise reduction. Proceedings of Advances in Image and Video technology, Lecture Notes in Computer Science:323–334, 2012.Google Scholar
- 24.Chiu, L.-C., and Fuh, C.-S., A Robust Denoising Filter with Adaptive Edge Preservation. Berlin Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, 2008, 923–926.Google Scholar
- 25.He K. and Sun, J., Fast guided filter. arXiv preprint arXiv:1505.00996, 2015.Google Scholar
- 26.Kao, C.-C., Lai, J.-H., and Chien, S.-Y., VLSI architecture design of Guided Filter for 30 Frames/s full HD video. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology 24(3), 2014.Google Scholar
- 27.Suresh, K. V., An improved image denoising using wavelet transform, Trends in Automation, Communications and Computing Technology (I-TACT-15), International Conference on (IEEE) Vol. 1. 2015.Google Scholar
- 32.Al-Najjar, Y. A. Y., and Soong, D. D. C., Comparison of Image Quality Assessment: PSNR, HVS, SSIM, UIQI. Int. J. Sci. Eng. Res. 3(8), 2012.Google Scholar