An Effective Design of Wearable Antenna with Double Flexible Substrates and Defected Ground Structure for Healthcare Monitoring System
- 25 Downloads
Due to the development of modern wearable mobile devices, the need of antenna with smaller size and internally flexible to fit becomes necessary. Miniaturization of Micro Strip Patch (MSP) antenna increases its employability for communication in different aspects. The use of flexible material for the fabrication of MSP antenna still improves its use for Wireless Body Area Networks (WBAN) which includes devices for monitoring systems in military, surveillance and medical applications. The devices designed specifically in Industrial Scientific Medical (ISM) band are used for communication in these applications. Defected Ground Structure (DGS) is adopted as an emerging technique for improving the various parameters of microwave circuits, that is, narrow bandwidth, cross-polarization, low gain, and so forth. In this paper, the design of compact micro strip patch antenna using different flexible substrate materials with DGS is proposed to resonate the antenna at 2.45GHz ISM band which can be used as biomedical sensors. Felt and Teflon with dielectric constant 1.36 and 2.1respectively are chosen as flexible substrate material among various flexible materials like cotton, rubber, paper, jeans etc. Using CST studio suite software, the designed antenna is simulated and the fabricated antenna is tested with Vector Network Analyzer (VNA). The performance parameters like return loss, gain, directivity and Voltage Standing Wave Ratio (VSWR) of the antenna are analyzed.
KeywordsCST software ISM band WBAN Defected ground structure VNA Return loss Directivity Gain Flexible dielectric materials Teflon Felt
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The Authors and Co-Authors have no conflicts of Interests. The Paper is not submitted to any other Journals. This is solely submitted to this Journal.
Ethical approval (involving human participants and/or animals)
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
No humans or animals were involved. All applicable international, national, and/or institutional guidelines for the care and use of animals were followed.
- 1.Werfelli, H., Tayari, K., Chaoui, M and et al Design of a Rectangular Microstrip Patch Antenna. 2nd International Conference on Advanced Technologies for Signal and Image Processing (ATSIP), 2016. DOI: 10.1109/atsip.2016.7523197Google Scholar
- 2.Panda, J. R., Saladi, A. S. R., and Kshetrimayum, R. S., A Compact printed monopole antenna for dual-band RFID and WLAN applications. Radioengineering 20(2), 2011.Google Scholar
- 3.AdashivChougule, J. S., and Wali, D. U. V., Design of Flexible Microstrip Antenna for wearable application. International Journal for Research in Emerging Science and Technology 2(6), 2015.Google Scholar
- 4.Sidhu, E., Mittal, D., Sainiand, S. S., et al., Flexible Microstrip Patch Antenna Designs for Bluetooth, IMT, WLAN and WiMAX Applications. Progress in Electromagnetics Research Symposium — Spring (PIERS), St Petersburg, 2017. 10.1109/piers.2017.8261881Google Scholar
- 6.Rais, N. H. M., Soh, P. J., and Malek, F., et al., A review of wearable antenna. Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAPC.2009.5352373.
- 7.Corchia, L., De Benedetto, E., Monti, G. and et al. Wearable antennas for applications in remote assistance to elderly people. 2017 IEEE International Workshop on Measurement and Networking (M&N), pp. 1–6, Naples, 2017 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/iwmn.2017.8078400
- 9.Fotiadis, D. I., Glaros, C., Likas, A., Wearable Medical Devices, 2009. 10.1002/9780471740360.ebs1326Google Scholar
- 10.Ankita Priya, Ayush Kumar, BrajlataChauhan, A Review of Textile and Cloth Fabric Wearable Antennas, International Journal of Computer Applications (0975–8887) Volume 116 – No. 17, 2015 10.5120/20425-2741Google Scholar
- 12.Ram Krishna, R. V. S., and Kumar, R., A Dual-Polarized Square-ring slot antenna for UWB, imaging, and radar applications. IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters 15, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2015.2438013.
- 13.Kiani, S. H., Mahmood, K., Munir, M. et al., A novel Design of Patch Antenna using U-slot and defected ground structure. (IJACSA) International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications 8(3), 2017.Google Scholar
- 15.Khandelwal, M. K., Kumar, S., and Kanaujia, B. K., Defected Ground Structure: Fundamentals, Analysis and Applications in Modern Wireless Trends. International Journal of Antennas and Propagation:2018527, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/2018527.
- 16.Melkeri, V, Mallikarjun, S.L., Hunagund, P.V., Microstrip Antenna with Defected Ground Structure: A Review. International Journal of Electrical Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering, ISSN: 2051–3240, Vol. 46, Issue.1Google Scholar
- 17.Guha, D., Biswas, S., Biswas, M. et al., Concentric ring-shaped defected ground structures for microstrip applications. IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/lawp.2006.880691.
- 19.Tanaka, M., Jae-Hyeuk, J., Wearable microstrip antenna. The Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2003.Google Scholar
- 20.Santas, J.G., Alomainy, A., Yang, H., Textile antennas for on body communications: Techniques and properties. The Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP 2007, 2007. 10.1049/ic.2007.1064Google Scholar
- 21.Corchia, L., Monti, G., and De Benedetto, E., et al., Wearable antennas for remote health care monitoring systems. International Journal of Antennas and Propagation:3012341, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/3012341.
- 22.Fernandes, H. C. C., Da Silva, J. L., and Neto, A. S. E S., Multi-frequency microstrip antenna using defected ground structures with band-notched characteristics. 2017Google Scholar
- 23.Elftouh, H., Touhami, N. A., Aghoutane, M. et al., Miniaturized microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure. Progress in Electromagnetics Research C 55:25–33, 2014. https://doi.org/10.2528/pierc14092302.
- 26.Balanis Constantine, A. Antenna theory: analysis and design. John Wiley & Sons, 2016. ISBN-13: 978–0471667827 ISBN-10: 047166782XGoogle Scholar
- 27.Ali, Z., Singh, V. K., and Singh, A. K., Design and performance improvement of wearable antenna. Journal of Microwave Engineering & Technologies 1(2), 2014.Google Scholar
- 28.Kiani, S. H., Mahmood, K., Shafeeq, S. et al., A novel Design of Miniaturized Patch Antenna Using Different Substrates for S-band and C-band applications. International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications (IJACSA) 7(7), 2016.Google Scholar
- 29.Ameena Banu, M., Vijayarangan, V., and Sindhuja, J., Design of Circular Microstrip Patch Antenna with hybrid substrate for gain and efficiency enhancement. Int. J. Appl. Eng. Res. 9(24):7977–7983, 2014.Google Scholar
- 30.AhamedKandu Sahib, S. K. A., AmeenaBanu, M., Lakshmi, M., And, K. et al., Design and fabrication of triangular shape microstrip patch antenna using lanthanides. International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology 4(4):1545–1547, 2017.Google Scholar
- 31.Manzoor, Z., and Moradi, G., Optimization of impedance bandwidth of a stacked microstrip patch antenna with the shape of parasitic Patch's slots. Appl. Comput. Electromagn. Soc. J. 30:9, 2015.Google Scholar