Hybrid Laplacian Gaussian Based Speckle Removal in SAR Image Processing
- 28 Downloads
Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) images are plays a significant role in different application fields like airborne, civilian and to observe various scenarios over the horizon. Unfortunately, SAR images are heavily affected by speckle noise. The speckle degrades the image quality which makes interpretation of images harder. Therefore suppression of speckle is important for further processing. In this paper a new method is proposed for despeckling of SAR image comprises of two stages. First stage is despeckling process which is based on directional smoothing and hard thresholding technique and second stage is image enhancement process which is based on applying HLGF filter. The proposed work has been tested on and show remarkable performance over the existing system. The simulation results confirmed that achieving a better Peak Signal to Noise Ratio (PSNR), Speckle Suppression Index (SSI) compared with existing method.
KeywordsSpeckle reduction Synthetic aperture radar (SAR) image Directional smoothing hybrid laplacian gaussian filter (HLGF) Dehazing algorithm PSNR SSI and SMPI
The Author would like to thank MSTAR database to access SAR images.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
No conflicts of interest: Author 1 & 2 declares that they have no conflict of interest.
Human and animals rights
All procedures followed were in accordance with the ethical standards of the responsible committee on human experimentation (institutional and national) and with the Helsinki Declaration of 1975, as revised in 2008″.
Informed consent was obtained from all patients for being included in the study.
- 1.Aki, A., and Yaacoub, C., Accelerated Joint Image Despeckling Algorithm In The Wavelet And Spatial Domains. International Journal of Image Processing (IJIP) 9(3), 2015.Google Scholar
- 2.Deledalle C. A., Denis, L., Tubin, F., Reigber, A., and Jagar, M., NL-SAR: a unified Non-Local framework for Resolution-preserving (POL) (IN) SAR Denoisig, 2014.Google Scholar
- 3.Loizou, C. P., Theofanous, C., Pantziaris, M., and Kasparis, T., Despeckle filtering software toolbox for ultrasound imaging of the common carotid artery. Elesvier 114(1):109–124, 2014.Google Scholar
- 6.Gragnaniello, D., Poggi, G., Scarpa, G., and Verdoliva, L, SAR despeckling based on soft classification. IGARSS, 2015.Google Scholar
- 7.Martino, G. D., Poderico, M., Poggi, G., Riccio, D., and Verdoliva, L., Benchmarking Framework for SAR Despeckling. IEEE Transactions On Geoscience And Remote Sensing 52(3), 2014.Google Scholar
- 8.Sadreazami, H., Ahmad, M. O., and Swamy, M. N. S., Despeckling of Synthetic Aperture Radar Images in the contour Domain Using the Alpha-stable Distribution. IEEE Transaction on Geo science and Remote Sensing, 2015.Google Scholar
- 9.Choi, H., and Jeong, J., Despeckling Images using a Preprocessing Filter and Discrete Wavelet Transform-Based Noise Reduction Techniques. IEEE Sensors Journal, 2018.Google Scholar
- 11.Jian, J. I., Xiano, L. I., Shung-Xing, X. U., Huan, L. I. U., and Jing-Jing, H., SAR Image Despeckling by Sparse Reconstruction Based on Shearlets. Acta Automatica Sinica, 2015.Google Scholar
- 12.Gokul, J., Nair, M. S., and Rajan, J., Guided SAR Image Despeckling with Probabilistic Non-Local Weights. Computers and Geosciences, 2017.Google Scholar
- 13.Savithri, K. M., and Kowsalya, G., SAR Image Despeckling using Bandlet Transform with Firefly Allgorithm. International Journal of Advanced Engineering Technology, 2016.Google Scholar
- 14.Jetta, M., Liyas, S. K., and Pranihith, T., A Fourth Order Diffusion Filter for Speckle Noise Removal. ICVIP, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1145/3177404.3177405.
- 15.Sumaiya, M. N., and Kumari, R. S. S., SAR Image Despeckling Using Heavy-Tailed Burr Distribution. London: January 2017, Volume 11, Issue 1, pp 49–55 Springer, 2016.Google Scholar
- 16.Birader, N., Dewal, M. L., Rohit, M., Gowre, S., and Gundge, Y., Blind Source Parameters for Performance Evaluation of Despeckling Filters. In: International Journal of Bio-medical Imaging, Hindawi Publishing Corporation, Volume, 2016.Google Scholar
- 17.Devi, N., and Sharma, S., Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) Images Processing: A Review. International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (IRJET) 3, 2016.Google Scholar
- 19.Singh, P., and Shree, R., Importance of DWT in Despeckling SAR Images and Experimentally Analyzing the Wavelet Based thresholding Techniques. International Journal of Engineering sciences and Research Technology 5(10), 2016.Google Scholar
- 21.Prabhishek Singh, R. S., Statistical Quality Analysis of Wavelet Based SAR Images in Despeckling Process. Asian Journal of Electrical Sciences 6(2):1–18, 2017.Google Scholar