The adverse effects of foreclosure on mental health in the United States after the Great Recession: a literature review
- 12 Downloads
The aim of this review is to examine the relationship between mental health conditions and foreclosures after the Great Recession in the United States (U.S.). Our search yielded 148 studies, eight of which met the criteria for inclusion. Based on a narrative analysis, a worsened psychological condition and an increase in the prevalence and risk of depression and anxiety emerged as consequences of foreclosures. Foreclosures could also compromise mental health for those who did not directly experience it. All in all, we conclude that foreclosure has had a detrimental impact on mental health in the U.S. after the Great Recession.
KeywordsEconomic crisis Foreclosure Great Recession Mental health
- Associated Press. (2008). Massachusetts woman commits suicide before home foreclosure. FOX NEWS. http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/07/23/massachusetts-woman-commits-suicide-before-home-foreclosure.html.
- Baker, D. (2008). The housing bubble and the financial crisis. Real-World Economics Review, (46), 73–81. http://paecon.net/PAEReview/issue46/Baker46.pdf.
- Bocian, D. G., Li, W., & Ernst, K. S. (2010). Foreclosures by race and ethnicity: The demographics of a crisis, North Carolina. http://www.responsiblelending.org/mortgage-lending/research-analysis/foreclosures-by-race-and-ethnicity.pdf. Accessed 30 May 2016.
- Centre for Reviews and Dissemination University of York. (2009). Systematic reviews: CRD’s guidance for undertaking reviews in health care (3rd ed.). York: York Publishing Services Ltd.Google Scholar
- Currie, J., & Tekin, E. (2011). Is there a link between foreclosure and health?, Cambridge, MA. http://www.nber.org/papers/w17310.pdf. Accessed 30 May 2016.
- Curtis, M. A., & Geller, A. (2010). Housing insecurity among urban fathers, New York. http://cupop.columbia.edu/files_cupop/imce_shared/Curtis___Geller_CPRC_WPS_10-08.pdf. Accessed 28 May 2016.
- Hurd, M. D., & Rohwedder, S. (2010). Effects of the financial crisis and Great Recession on American households, Cambridge, MA. http://www.nber.org/papers/w16407.pdf. Accessed 30 May 2016.
- Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University. (2008). The state of the nation’s housing 2008, Cambridge, MA. http://www.jchs.harvard.edu/sites/jchs.harvard.edu/files/son2008.pdf. Accessed 30 May 2016.
- Kjellstrom, T. (2007). Our cities, our health, our future: Acting on social determinants for health equity in urban settings, Kobe, Japan. http://www.who.int/social_determinants/resources/knus_report_16jul07.pdf. Accessed 2 June 2016.
- Liberati, A., et al. (2009). The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate health care interventions: Explanation and elaboration. PLoS Medicine, 6(7). http://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article/asset?id=10.1371/journal.pmed.1000100.PDF.
- Little, L. (2012). California Man commits suicide before foreclosure. abc News. http://abcnews.go.com/Business/decade-debt-hurting-credit/story?id=16322854.
- OECD. (2016). Public spending on family benefits. https://data.oecd.org/socialexp/family-benefits-public-spending.htm. Accessed July 30, 2016.
- Popay, J., et al. (2006). Narrative synthesis in systematic reviews: A product from the ESRC methods programme, Lancaster. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/233866356_Guidance_on_the_conduct_of_narrative_synthesis_in_systematic_reviews_A_product_from_the_ESRC_Methods_Programme. Accessed 28 May 2016.
- Salvi del Pero, A., et al. (2016). Policies to promote access to good quality affordable housing in OECD countries, Paris. http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/docserver/download/5jm3p5gl4djd.pdf?expires=1465917317&id=id&accname=guest&checksum=4ED01C68BD9BCFC2A564F737FFE66C40. Accessed 14 June 2016.
- Steffen, B. L. (2013). Worst case housing needs 2011, report to congress, Washington, D.C. https://www.huduser.gov/portal//Publications/pdf/HUD-506_WorstCase2011_reportv3.pdf. Accessed 30 May 2016.
- Tarr, D. G. (2010). The political, regulatory and market failures that caused the US financial crisis. http://www-wds.worldbank.org/external/default/WDSContentServer/WDSP/IB/2010/05/27/000158349_20100527154732/Rendered/PDF/WPS5324.pdf. Accessed 28 May 2016.
- Tsai, A. C. (2015). Home foreclosure, health, and mental health: A systematic review of individual, aggregate, and contextual associations. PLoS ONE, 10(4), 1–21.Google Scholar
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Office of Policy Development and Research. (2010). Report to congress on the root causes of the foreclosure crisis, Washington, DC. https://www.huduser.gov/portal/Publications/PDF/Foreclosure_09.pdf. Accessed 1 June 2016.
- Weiss, N. E., et al. (2008). Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008. http://fpc.state.gov/documents/organization/113245.pdf. Accessed 2 June 2016.
- WHO Regional Office for Europe. (2011). Impact of economic crises on mental health, Copenhagen, Denmark. http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/134999/e94837.pdf. Accessed 15 June 2016.
- World Health Organization. (2010). A conceptual framework for action on the social determinants of health, Geneva, Switzerland. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/44489/1/9789241500852_eng.pdf?ua=1. Accessed 10 Nov 2015.