Present State of Chinese Magnetic Fusion Development and Future Plans
- 297 Downloads
Chinese magnetic confinement fusion (MCF) development has made significant progress during the past decade. With successful construction and operation of the EAST superconducting tokamak, China is playing a key role in advanced steady-state operations towards the next step ITER. The Chinese Fusion Engineering Testing Reactor (CFETR) is the next device for the Chinese MCF program which aims to bridge the gaps between the fusion experiment ITER and the demonstration reactor DEMO. Fusion power of CFETR will be in the range of 200 MW to over 1 GW. It will be operated in two phases: Steady-state operation and tritium self-sustainment will be the two key issues for the first phase with a modest fusion power up to 200 MW. The second phase aims for DEMO validation with a fusion power over 1 GW. The Chinese government has approved to proceed with the CFETR engineering design, and the project started on December 2017. Roadmap of Chinese MCF, gaps for construction and operation of CFETR, efforts to fill these gaps and speedup the fusion energy application in China are presented.
KeywordsFusion Tokamak Reactor
Funding was provided by Institute of Plasma Physics, Chinese Academy of Science.
- 3.F.Villone et al., in 34th EPS Conference Plasma Physics, Warsaw, Poland, vol. 31F, P-5.126 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.E. Joffrin et al., in 23nd IAEA Fusion Energy Conference, Daejeon, Korea, EXC/1-1 (2010)Google Scholar
- 15.J. Boliang et al., Nuclear Fusion Plasma Phys. 1986-03Google Scholar
- 16.J.G. Li et al., in 15th IAEA, IAEA-CN-GO/AS-II 2, Oct 1994Google Scholar
- 17.HL-1M TEAM, in Fusion Energy 1996 (Proceedings of 16th International Conference Montreal, 1996), vol. 1, IAEA, Vienna (1997), p. 693Google Scholar
- 19.J. Li et al., in Proceedings of 17th IAEA Conference on Fusion Energy (Yokahama, Japan, 1998)Google Scholar
- 29.A. Ekedahl et al., in 2016 IAEA Fusion Energy Conference (Kyoto, Japan) EX/P7-34Google Scholar
- 39.J.X. Zheng et al., IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond. 26(7), 4205505 (2016)Google Scholar
- 47.Z.X. Li, Activities on He-cooled ceramic blanket for CFETR. Presented at Technical exchange meeting on CFETR and EU-DEMO fusion reactor design, 19–22 Jan 2016, Garching, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- 48.作者:Q. Zhu, J. Li, S. Liu, Plasma Sci. Technol. 18, 775–780 (2016)Google Scholar
- 52.UKAEA September 2007 (revised/improved version of original table in UKAEA FUS 521, 2005)Google Scholar