Presurgical Psychological Evaluation: Risk Factor Identification and Mitigation
Presurgical psychological evaluations (PPEs) are becoming an established component of the surgical process, though methods of conducting PPEs are variable. There is a lack of clarity about the goals of PPEs, the types of information that should be included, and the process for integrating information and making recommendations to the referring physicians/surgeons. This review proposes an empirically supported model for PPEs that is systematic, but flexible enough to be utilized across the broad range of surgical evaluations. This five-step method is termed the Risk Identification and Mitigation (RIM) model and is discussed in detail. The RIM model presented in this review can both serve as a structure to be utilized in under-researched PPE areas and as a stimulus for future empirical investigations.
KeywordsSurgical Health Assessment Psychopathology Mitigating
This study has no associated funding.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
Andrew R. Block and Ryan J. Marek receive research funding from the University of Minnesota Press.
This article does not contain any studies with humans performed by any of the authors. This article does not contain any studies with animals performed by any of the authors.
This article does not contain any studies with humans performed by any of the authors and, thus, no informed consent was necessary.
- Ben-Porath, Y. S. (2012). Interpreting the MMPI-2-RF (1st ed.). Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Ben-Porath, Y. S., & Tellegen, A. (2008/2011). The Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory-2 Restructured Form (MMPI-2-RF): Manual for administration, scoring, and interpretation. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Brethauer, S. A., Kim, J., El Chaar, M., Papasavas, P., Eisenberg, D., Rogers, A., … Committee, A. C. I. (2015). Standardized outcomes reporting in metabolic and bariatric surgery. Obesity Surgery, 25(4), 587–606. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11695-015-1645-3.
- Brox, J. I., Reikerås, O., Nygaard, Ø., Sørensen, R., Indahl, A., Holm, I., … Lange, J. E. (2006). Lumbar instrumented fusion compared with cognitive intervention and exercises in patients with chronic back pain after previous surgery for disc herniation: a prospective randomized controlled study. Pain, 122(1–2), 145–155.Google Scholar
- Brox, J. I., Sørensen, R., Friis, A., Nygaard, Ø., Indahl, A., Keller, A., … Koller, A. K. (2003). Randomized clinical trial of lumbar instrumented fusion and cognitive intervention and exercises in patients with chronic low back pain and disc degeneration. Spine, 28(17), 1913–1921.Google Scholar
- Chao, A. M., Wadden, T. A., Faulconbridge, L. F., Sarwer, D. B., Webb, V. L., Shaw, J. A., … Alamuddin, N. (2016). Binge‐eating disorder and the outcome of bariatric surgery in a prospective, observational study: Two‐year results. Obesity, 24(11), 2327–2333.Google Scholar
- Chou, R., Qaseem, A., Snow, V., Casey, D., Cross, J. T., Shekelle, P., & Owens, D. K. (2007). Diagnosis and treatment of low back pain: A joint clinical practice guideline from the American College of Physicians and the American Pain Society. Annals of Internal Medicine, 147(7), 478–491.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Conceição, E. M., Utzinger, L. M., & Pisetsky, E. M. (2015). Eating disorders and problematic eating behaviours before and after bariatric surgery: Characterization, assessment and association with treatment outcomes. European Eating Disorders Review, 23(6), 417–425.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- De Geest, S., Schäfer‐Keller, P., Denhaerynck, K., Thannberger, N., Köfer, S., Bock, A., … Steiger, J. (2006). Supporting medication adherence in renal transplantation (SMART): a pilot RCT to improve adherence to immunosuppressive regimens. Clinical Transplantation, 20(3), 359–368.Google Scholar
- Denhaerynck, K., Dobbels, F., Cleemput, I., Desmyttere, A., Schäfer-Keller, P., Schaub, S., & De Geest, S. (2005). Prevalence, consequences, and determinants of nonadherence in adult renal transplant patients: A literature review. Transplant International, 18(10), 1121–1133.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Geisser, M. E., Roth, R. S., & Robinson, M. E. (1997). Assessing depression among persons with chronic pain using the Center for Epidemiological Studies-Depression Scale and the Beck Depression Inventory: A comparative analysis. The Clinical Journal of Pain, 13(2), 163–170.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Groth-Marnat, G., & Wright, A. J. (2016). Handbook of psychological assessment. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.Google Scholar
- King, W. C., Chen, J. Y., Mitchell, J. E., Kalarchian, M. A., Steffen, K. J., Engel, S. G., … Yanovski, S. Z. (2012). Prevalence of alcohol use disorders before and after bariatric surgery. JAMA, 307(23), 2516–2525. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2012.6147.
- Lageman, S. K., Mickens, M., Verkerke, T., & Holloway, K. (2013). Deep brain stimulation for Parkinson’s disease. In A. R. Block & D. B. Sarwer (Eds.), Presurgical psychological screening: Understanding patients, improving outcomes (pp. 127–149). Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Livhits, M., Mercado, C., Yermilov, I., Parikh, J. A., Dutson, E., Mehran, A., … Gibbons, M. M. (2012). Preoperative predictors of weight loss following bariatric surgery: Systematic review. Obesity Surgery, 22(1), 70–89. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11695-011-0472-4.
- Maldonado, J. R., Dubois, H. C., David, E. E., Sher, Y., Lolak, S., Dyal, J., & Witten, D. (2012). The Stanford Integrated Psychosocial Assessment for Transplantation (SIPAT): A new tool for the psychosocial evaluation of pre-transplant candidates. Psychosomatics, 53(2), 123–132.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Maldonado, J. R., Sher, Y., Lolak, S., Swendsen, H., Skibola, D., Neri, E., … Standridge, K. (2015). The Stanford Integrated Psychosocial Assessment for Transplantation: a prospective study of medical and psychosocial outcomes. Psychosomatic Medicine, 77(9), 1018–1030.Google Scholar
- Marek, R. J., Ben-Porath, Y. S., Dulmen, M., Ashton, K., & Heinberg, L. J. (2017a). Using the presurgical psychological evaluation to predict 5-year weight loss outcomes in bariatric surgery patients. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, 13(3), 514–521. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soard.2016.11.008.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- McCracken, L. M., & Turk, D. C. (2002). Behavioral and cognitive-behavioral treatment for chronic pain: Outcome, predictors of outcome, and treatment process. Spine, 27(22), 2564–2573. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.BRS.0000032130.45175.66.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- McQuellon, R., Russell, G., Cella, D., Craven, B., Brady, M., Bonomi, A., & Hurd, D. (1997). Quality of life measurement in bone marrow transplantation: development of the Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy-Bone Marrow Transplant (FACT-BMT) scale. Bone Marrow Transplantation, 19(4), 357–368.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mechanick, J. I., Youdim, A., Jones, D. B., Timothy Garvey, W., Hurley, D. L., Molly McMahon, M., … Brethauer, S. (2013). Clinical practice guidelines for the perioperative nutritional, metabolic, and nonsurgical support of the bariatric surgery patient–2013 update: Cosponsored by American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, the Obesity Society, and American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, 9(2), 159–191. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soard.2012.12.010.
- Micanti, F., Iasevoli, F., Cucciniello, C., Costabile, R., Loiarro, G., Pecoraro, G., … Galletta, D. (2017). The relationship between emotional regulation and eating behaviour: a multidimensional analysis of obesity psychopathology. Eating and Weight Disorders-Studies on Anorexia, Bulimia and Obesity, 22(1), 105–115.Google Scholar
- Morey, L. C. (1991). Personality assessment inventory professional manual. Odessa, FL: Psychological Assessment Resources Inc.Google Scholar
- Morey, L. C. (1996). An interpretive guide to the Personality Assessment Inventory (PAI). Odessa, FL: Psychological Assessment Resources, Incorporated.Google Scholar
- Nygaard, Ø. P., Kloster, R., & Solberg, T. (2000). Duration of leg pain as a predictor of outcome after surgery for lumbar disc herniation: A prospective cohort study with 1-year follow up. Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine, 92(2), 131–134.Google Scholar
- Rivero-Arias, O., Campbell, H., Gray, A., Fairbank, J., Frost, H., & Wilson-McDonald, J. (2005). Surgical stabilisation of the spine compared with a programme of intensive rehabilitation for the management of patients with chronic low back pain: Cost utility analysis based on a randomised controlled trial. British Medical Journal, 330(7052), 1239.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Rolving, N., Nielsen, C. V., Christensen, F. B., Holm, R., Bünger, C. E., & Oestergaard, L. G. (2015). Does a preoperative cognitive-behavioral intervention affect disability, pain behavior, pain, and return to work the first year after lumbar spinal fusion surgery? Spine, 40(9), 593–600.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Rolving, N., Sogaard, R., Nielsen, C. V., Christensen, F. B., Bünger, C., & Oestergaard, L. G. (2016). Preoperative cognitive-behavioral patient education versus standard care for lumbar spinal fusion patients: Economic evaluation alongside a randomized controlled trial. Spine, 41(1), 18–25.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sperry, B. W., Ikram, A., Alvarez, P. A., Perez, A. L., Kendall, K., Gorodeski, E. Z., & Starling, R. C. (2019). Standardized psychosocial assessment before left ventricular assist device implantation: An important predictive measure. Circulation Heart Failure, 12(1), e005377.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Tarescavage, A. M., Scheman, J., & Ben-Porath, Y. S. (2015). Reliability and validity of the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory-2-Restructured Form (MMPI-2-RF) in evaluations of chronic low back pain patients. Psychological Assessment, 27(2), 433–446. https://doi.org/10.1037/pas0000056.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Tellegen, A. (1985). Structures of mood and personality and their relevance to assessing anxiety, with an emphasis on self-report. In A. H. Tuma & J. Maser (Eds.), Anxiety and the anxiety disorders (pp. 681–706). Hillsdale, NJ: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Tellegen, A., & Ben-Porath, Y. S. (2008/2011). The Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory-2 Restructured Form (MMPI-2-RF): Technical manual. Minneapolis. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Young, G. (2014). Malingering, feigning, and response bias in psychiatric/psychological injury. International Library of Ethics, Law, and the New Medicine, 56, 817–856.Google Scholar