Larvicidal Activity of Silver Nanoparticles Synthesized by Pseudomonas fluorescens YPS3 Isolated from the Eastern Ghats of India
- 47 Downloads
Microbial nanoparticles synthesis is a greener approach by which it interconnects the nanotechnology and microbial biotechnology. The present study focussed on the synthesis of AgNP using P. fluorescens YPS3 as a mediated and larvicidal activity of AgNP against Aedes aegypti, Anopheles stephensi and Culex quinquefasciatus mosquito. P. fluorescens-YPS3 mediated AgNPs were characterized by UV–visible spectrophotometer, FT-IR, XRD, FE-SEM, EDX and HR-TEM analysis. The nature of the nanoparticles were confirmed by EDaX and they were polydispersed and spherical in nature with the average size of 26.67 ± 3 nm. The larvicidal activity of the AgNP revealed prominent toxicity on the tested mosquito larvae. AgNPs showed the LC50 value as 80.658 μg/ml, 94.225 μg/ml, and 113.238 μg/ml A. aegypti, A. stephensi and C. quinquefasciatus respectively. P. fluorescens—YPS3 synthesized nanoparticles found to have prominent bioactivity on mosquito larvae and thus can be used as biocontrol agent to control mosquito population.
KeywordsSilver nanoparticles Larvicidal activity Biocontrol agent Toxicity Pseudomonas sp. Biopesticide
The author P.S thanks the National Post Doctoral Fellowship (NPDF) (PDF/2016/003905) Science and Engineering Research Board, Department of Science and Technology (DST-SERB) Government of India for the financial assistance. K.D thanks the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), Government of India, for providing the financial assistance through the Senior Research Fellowship (SRF).
- 1.World Health Organization, Dengue transmission research in WHO Bulletin (cited onjune 25) (2010). http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2005/WHO-CDS-WHOPES-GCDPP-2005.13.pdf.
- 4.World Health Organization, Malaria (2013). http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs094/en/index.html.
- 7.L. Jia, Q. Zhang, Q. Li, and H. Song (2008). Nanotechnology 20, 385.Google Scholar
- 17.S. Marimuthu, A.A. Rahuman, A.V. Kirthi, T. Santhoshkumar, C. Jayaseelan, G. Rajakumar (2013). Parasitol Res. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00436-013-3601-2.
- 23.J.G. Cappuccino and N. Sherman (1996). Microbiology: a laboratory manual.Google Scholar
- 25.P. Vivekanandhan, S. Karthi, M. S. Shivakumar, and G. Benelli (2018). J. Path. Glob. Health. https://doi.org/10.1080/20477724.2018.1438228.
- 26.World Health Organization, Guidelines for laboratory and field testing of mosquito larvicides WHO/CDS/WHOPES/GCDPP/13 (2005).Google Scholar
- 38.S. Silambarasan and A. Jayanthi (2013). Res. J. Biotech. 8, 71.Google Scholar
- 40.C. Malarkodi, S. Rajeshkumar, K. Paulkumar, G. Gnanajobitha, M. Vanaja, and G. Annadurai (2013). Nanosci. Nanotechnol. Int.J 3, 26.Google Scholar