Synthesis and Characterization of a New Layered Gallium Phosphonate Oxalate [C2H10N2]0.5[Ga3(PO3CH3)4(C2O4)].H2O
A new layered gallium phosphonate-oxalate hybrid material, [C2H10N2]0.5[Ga3(PO3CH3)4(C2O4)].H2O, denoted as MOP-1, was synthesized under mild hydrothermal conditions (150 °C) in the presence of ethylenediammonium ion (H2en)2+ as structure-directing agent. The compound was structurally characterized by single-crystal X-ray diffraction (SCXRD), Fourier transformed infra-red spectroscopy (FTIR), and thermogravimetric analysis (TGA). Its structure consists of gallium phosphonate double layers formed of GaO6 octahedra, GaO4 tetrahedra, and PO3CH3 groups sharing corners. The double layers are cross-linked by oxalate ligands to form a three-dimensional framework with intersecting channels where the ammonium ions and water molecules are located. The bridging oxalate ligand acts as a bidentate ligand to each Ga in octahedral coordination environment. Crystal data are as follows: Monoclinic P21/n (14), a = 8.7530(5) Å; b = 16.3427(8) Å; c = 14.7522(8) Å; β = 93.284(1)°, V = 2106.8(2) Å3 and Z = 4.
KeywordsHybrid material Hydrothermal synthesis SCXRD TGA FTIR
F. Dardar and A. El Jazouli acknowledge the financial support of the Moroccan American Commission for Educational and Cultural Exchanges - Fulbright’s Program (http://www.macece.org). They also acknowledge the support of the Department of Chemistry and the Center for Energy, Environment, and Sustainability at Wake Forest University, during their stay at WFU.
- 2.Lethbridge ZAD, Tiwary SK, Harrison A, Lightfoot P (2001) Synthesis, structural and spectroscopic properties of two new ethylenediamine-templated gallophosphate-oxalate layered materials. J Chem Soc Dalton Trans 1904–1910Google Scholar
- 7.Parise JB (1986) Preparation and structure of a gallium phosphate framework with clathrated isopropylamine. Acta Crystallogr Sect C42:144–147Google Scholar
- 8.Yang G, Feng S, Xu R (1987) Crystal structure of the gallophosphate framework: X-ray characterization of Ga9P9O36OH·HNEt3. J Chem Soc Chem Commun 1254Google Scholar
- 9.Wang T, Yang G, Feng S, Shang C, Xu R (1989) A novel mixed octahedral–tetrahedral framework: X-ray characterization of a microporous gallophosphate, Ga2P2O8(OH)H2O·NH4·H2O·0.16 PrOH (GaPO4-C7). J Chem Soc Chem Commun 14:948Google Scholar
- 11.Chen CY, Chu PP, Lii KH (1999) Synthesis, crystal structure and 71Ga MAS NMR spectroscopy of a novel gallium phosphatooxalate: [Ga5(OH)2(C10H9N2)(C2O4)(PO4)4]·2H2O. Chem Commun 1473–1474Google Scholar
- 18.Smith RW, Holman D, Villa EM (2017) Crystal structure of Li3Ga(BO3)2. Acta Cryst E73:456–458Google Scholar