Microwave absorption and infrared stealth performance of reduced graphene oxide-wrapped Al flake
- 25 Downloads
A novel Al@reduced graphene oxide (Al@RGO) composite was designed and synthesized by a one-step hydrothermal method. We investigated the effect of the graphene on the microwave absorbing properties and infrared emissivity of composites. The crystal structure, microscopic morphology, infrared emissivity and electromagnetic parameters of the prepared samples were characterized by XRD, FESEM, TEM, XPS, dual band infrared emissometer and vector network analyzer. TEM and SEM show that the thin Al sheet is uniformly wrapped by RGO with a crumpled surface. Functionalized RGO and surface cation-modified Al sheets are tightly compounded through an electrostatic interaction. The oxygen content and defect from RGO as polarization center endows the material with enhanced molecular polarization and dipole polarization effect. The Al sheet is well coated with RGO, enhancing interface polarization and impedance matching. The minimum reflection loss (RL) of optimized Al@RGO composites is − 46.11 dB at 13.68 GHz under the coating thickness of only 2 mm. The bandwidth below − 10 dB can reach 4.88 GHz (11.52–16.4 GHz). Al sheet is a suitable base material for both microwave absorption and infrared stealth. The Al@RGO composites exhibit excellent infrared stealth ability, and their lowest infrared emissivity is 0.62. Thus, Al@RGO composites show potential application for both electromagnetic wave absorption and infrared stealth.
This work was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 51477002 and 51707003), and the National College Students Innovation and Entrepreneurship Training Program of China (Grant No. 201810361075).
- 3.A.P. Alegaonkar, P.S. Alegaonkar, Nanocarbons: Preparation, Assessments, and Applications in Structural Engineering, Spintronics, Gas Sensing, EMI Shielding, and Cloaking in X-band. Nanocarbon and Its Composites. Woodhead Publishing, Cambride, 2019, 171–285. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-08-102509-3.00007-9 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.M.Y. Shi, C. Xu, Z.H. Yang, J. Liang, L. Wang, S.J. Tan, G.Y. Xu, Achieving good infrared-radar compatible stealth property on metamaterial-based absorber by controlling the floating rate of Al type infrared coating. J. Alloys Compd. 764, 314–322 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2018.06.093 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Y.F. Liu, J.L. Xie, M. Luo, B. Peng, L.J. Deng, Synthesis and characterization of magnetic Al/NiO composite pigments with low infrared emissivity. Mater. Sci. Forum. 898, 1561–1568 (2017). https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.898.1561 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.X.G. Huang, W.F. Rao, Y.Y. Chen, W.H. Ding, H.L. Zhu, M.X. YU, J. Chen, Q.T. Zhang, Infrared emitting properties and environmental stability performance of aluminum/polymer composite coating. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 27, 5543–5548 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10854-016-4458-9 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.K.L. Zhang, Y.H. Xu, Y. Lu, Y.C. Zhu, Y.Y. Qian, D.F. Wang, J.B. Zhou, N. Lin, Y.T. Qian, A graphene oxide-wrapped bipyramidal sulfur@polyaniline core–shell structure as a cathode for Li–S batteries with enhanced electrochemical performance. J. Mater. Chem. A. 4, 6404–6410 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1039/C6TA01118G CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.H.G. Wang, F.B. Meng, F. Huang, C.F. Jing, Y. Li, W. Wei, Z.W. Zhou, Interface modulating CNTs@PANi hybrids by controlled unzipping of the walls of CNTs to achieve tunable high-performance microwave absorption. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 11, 12142–12153 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.9b01122 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Y. Qin, Y. Zhang, N. Qi, Q.Z. Wang, X.J. Zhang, Y. Li, Preparation of graphene aerogel with high mechanical stability and microwave absorption ability via combining surface support of metallic-CNTs and interfacial cross-linking by magnetic nanoparticles. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 11, 10409–10417 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.8b22382 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 38.P.P. Kuzhir, A.G. Paddubskaya, M.V. Shuba, S.A. Maksimenko, A. Celzard, V. Fierro, G. Amaral-Labat, A. Pizzi, G. Valušis, J. Macutkevic, M. Ivanov, J. Banys, S. Bistarelli, A. Cataldo, M. Mastrucci, F. Micciulla, I. Sacco, E. Stefanutti, S. Bellucci, Electromagnetic shielding efficiency in Ka-band: carbon foam versus epoxy/carbon nanotube composites. J Nanophotonics 6, 061715 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1117/1.JNP.6.061715 CrossRefGoogle Scholar