Effect of the Eu3+ (x = 0, 1, 2 and 3 mol%) doped Zn2−xTiO4 and Zn2Ti1−xO4 obtained by complex polymerization method: photoluminescent and photocatalytic properties
- 2 Downloads
In this work, Zn2EuxTi1−xO4 and Zn2−xEuxTiO4 (x = 0, 1, 2 and 3 mol%) powders were synthesized by complex polymerization method (CPM) and calcined at 1000 °C for 4 h. The powders were characterized by X-ray diffraction (XRD), scanning electron microscopy (SEM), UV–Vis spectroscopy in the visible region and photoluminescence properties (PL). The photocatalytic properties were estimated by degradation of methylene blue (MB) dye when irradiated by UV lamps. X-ray diffraction results demonstrated the existence of Zn2TiO4 as primary phase and ZnO with secondary phase. According to diffractograms, the crystallite size varied between 49 and 67 nm. The Eu3+ ions introduction provides increased absorption in visible region, but the band-gap remains practically constant. In samples were observed an increased in photocatalysis with the increase in europium concentration, while in the Zn2EuxTi1−xO4 samples, photocatalysis was reduced to europium concentrations greater than 1%. Eu3+ doped Zn2TiO4 provided a photoluminescent intensity increasing. CIE chromaticity coordinates confirm emission in the red region of the phosphor.
This study was partially financed in part by the Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior—Brasil (CAPES/PROCAD)—Finance Code 2013/2998/2014 and the author’s thanks to the financial support of the Brazilian research financing institution: CNPq No. 307546/2014.
- 17.H. Zhang, X. Fu, S. Niu, G. Sun, Q. Xin, Synthesis and characterization of ZrO2: Eu nanopowder by EDTA complexing sol–gel method (Elsevier, Lausanne, 2005)Google Scholar
- 19.K.M. Girish, S.C. Prashantha, H. Nagabhushana, J. Sci.: Adv. Mater. Devices 2, 360–370 (2017)Google Scholar
- 20.L. Lutterotti, S. Matthies, H.R. Wenk, IUCr: Newsl. CPD 21, 14–15 (1999)Google Scholar
- 23.M. Patel, A. Chavda, Indrajit Mukhopadhyay (Nanostructured SnS with Inherent Anisotropic Optical Properties for High Photoactivity, Joondong Kim and Abhijit Ray, 2015)Google Scholar
- 33.A.E. Morales, E.S. Mora, U. Pal, Rev. Mex. Fis. 53(5), 18–22 (2007)Google Scholar