Mössbauer studies of mixed-valence manganite Pb3(Mn0.965Fe0.035)7O15
- 14 Downloads
Pb3Mn7O15 manganite with mixed valence (Mn3+/Mn4+) was studied by Mössbauer effect on 57Fe impurity atoms in the temperature range of 80–673 K. The experimental spectra consisted of two main quadrupole doublets corresponding to trivalent Fe atoms replacing Mn atoms in different positions in the crystal lattice. Identification of the doublets was made on the basis of calculations of quadrupole splitting within the point charges model and taking possible polarization of oxygen ions into account. In two temperature ranges: T ≈ 370–510 K, corresponding to the structural phase transition, and at T ≈ 140–230 K, where strong anomalies of the magnetic and electrical properties were observed, the sharp changes in the hyperfine quadrupole splitting were observed. It is assumed that these changes are caused by changes in the valence of manganese ions and structural deformations.
Authors thank Dr. A.L. Erzinkyan and Dr. V.I. Nesterov for the help with LT Mössbauer measurements and Dr. S.A. Ivanov for X-ray diffraction.
This work was supported by scientific program of Skobeltsyn Institute of Nuclear Physics, Lomonosov Moscow State University and by Ministry of Education and Science of Russian Federation, Project Number 3.1099.2017/PCh.
- 2.S.A.J. Kimber, Charge and orbital order in frustrated Pb3Mn7O15. J. Phys. 24(18), 186002 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.S.A. Ivanov, A.A. Bush, M. Hudl, A.I. Stash, G. Andre, R. Tellgren, V.M. Cherepanov, A.V. Stepanov, K.E. Kamentsev, Y. Tokunaga, Y. Taguchi, Y. Tokura, P. Nordblad, R. Mathieu, Spin and dipole order in geometrically frustrated mixed-valence manganite Pb3Mn7O15. J. Mater. Sci. 27(12), 12562–12573 (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.N.V. Volkov, E.V. Eremin, K.A. Sablina, N.V. Sapronova, Dielectric properties of a mixed-valence Pb3Mn7O15 manganese oxide. J. Phys. 22, 375901 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.N.V. Volkov, K.A. Sablina, E.V. Eremin, P. Boni, V.R. Shah, I.N. Flerov, A. Kartashev, J.C.E. Rasch, M. Boehm, J Schefer (2008) Heat capacity of a mixed-va-lence manganese oxide Pb3Mn7O15. J. Phys. 20, 445214 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.N.V. Volkov, E.V. Eremin, O.A. Bayukov, K.A. Sablina, L.A. Solov’ev, D.A. Velikanov, N.V. Mikhashenok, E.I. Osetrov, J. Schefer, L. Keller, M. Boehm, L.A. Solov’ev, Suppression of the long-range magnetic order in Pb3(Mn1−xFex)7O15 upon substitution of Fe for Mn. J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 342, 100–107 (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.V.S. Shpinel, Resonance of Gamma-Rays in Crystals (Nayka, Moscow, 1969), p. 407. (in Russian) Google Scholar
- 11.A.A. Bush, A.V. Titov, B.I. Al’shin, YuN Venevtsev, Phase diagram of the PbO-Mn2O3 system and the preparation of Pb3Mn6O13 single crystals. Russ. J. Inorg. Chem. 22, 1211 (1977)Google Scholar
- 17.A. Belik, Y.S. Glazkova, Y. Katsuya, M. Tanaka, A.V. Sobolev, I.A. Presniakov, Low-temperature structural modulations in CdMn7O12, CaMn7O12, SrMn7O12, and PbMn7O12 perovskites studied by synchrotron X-ray, powder diffraction and Mössbauer spectroscopy. J. Phys. Chem. C 120, 8278–8288 (2016)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.H.C. Verma, G.N. Rao, Systematic study of the temperature dependence of the electric field gradients at probe nuclei in non-cubic metals. Hyperfine Interact. 15(1), 207–210 (1982)Google Scholar