Photoluminescence and scintillation properties of Eu-doped TeO2-Al2O3-BaO glasses
- 23 Downloads
We synthesized TeO2-Al2O3-BaO glasses with different concentrations of Eu (0, 0.1, 0.5, 1.0 and 5.0 mol%) by the conventional melt-quenching technique to develop scintillator materials. After the synthesis, photoluminescence (PL) and scintillation properties of the samples were investigated systematically. The Eu-doped samples exhibited emissions with peaks approximately at 590 and 620 nm due to the 4f-4f transitions of Eu3+ in PL and scintillation. Among the sample investigated, the 5.0% Eu-doped sample showed the highest PL and scintillation intensities. In addition, decay time constants of the Eu-doped samples in PL and scintillation were about 0.91–0.94 and 0.37–0.51 ms, respectively. Furthermore, the afterglow levels of the samples were estimated to be 179–245 ppm, which was approximately one order of magnitude higher than those of Bi4Ge3O12 and CdWO4.
This work was supported by the Kazuchika Okura Memorial Foundation.
- 6.S.J. Duclos, Scintillator phosphors for medical imaging. Electrochem. Soc. Interface 7, 34–39 (1988)Google Scholar
- 8.R. Hawrami, A.R. Fatah, K.A. Faraj, Advanced scintillator crystal for various radiation detection abstract. J. Asian Sci. Res. 1, 131–138 (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.W.W. Moses, Scintillator requirements for medical imaging (Inter. Conf. Inorg. Scint, Appli, 1990)Google Scholar
- 11.T. Yanagida, N. Kawaguchi, Y. Fujimoto, K. Fukuda, Y. Yokota, A. Yamazaki, K. Watanabe, J. Pejchal, A. Uritani, T. Iguchi, A. Yoshikawa, Basic study of europium doped LiCaAlF6 scintillator and its capability for thermal neutron imaging application. Opt. Mater. 33, 1243–1247 (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.H. Samizo, T. Kato, N. Kawano, G. Okada, N. Kawaguchi, T. Yanagida, Photoluminescence, scintillation and TSL properties of Ce-doped Sr(PO3)2 glasses. J. Mater. Sci. 29, 1985–1991 (2018)Google Scholar
- 20.W. He, Y.P. Zhang, J.H. Wang, S.X. Wang, H.P. Xia, Luminescence properties of terbium doped oxyfluoride tellurite glasses. Acta Phys. Sin. 60, 042901 (2011)Google Scholar
- 28.P. Nachimuthu, R. Jagannathan, Absorption and emission spectral studies of Eu3+-doped PbO-PbF2 glass system. Proc. Indian Acad. Sci. 107, 59–66 (1995)Google Scholar
- 33.K. Shinozaki, Y. Fujimoto, G. Okada, N. Kawaguchi, T. Yanagida, T. Akai, M. Koshimizu, K. Asai, J. Mater. Sci. 29(2018), 11824–11829 (1829)Google Scholar