MemSens: a new detection method for heavy metals based on silver nanoparticle assisted memristive switching principle
- 58 Downloads
This work reports a new heavy metal sensing and detection methodology based on memristive switching effect. The hysteresis loop and limiting linear characteristic of a memristive device are used to validate the hypothesis of detection of heavy metals by putting them in contact with silver nanoparticles (Ag NPs). The sensing of various heavy metal ions using the proposed methodology was done and the results showed a response towards all tested metal ions. In particular, the selectivity of the Ag NPs towards Cd2+ ions was more than other metal ions. The current against concentration graph for Ag NPs + Cd2+ ions system was obtained which gives the possibility of determination of Cd2+ ion concentration in an unknown sample. The concentration of the Cd2+ ions was varied to test the lower limit of detection of the system and found that the sensor system was able to detect the Cd2+ up to very low concentration. Therefore, the conceptually new heavy metal detection approach is a significant new advancement in heavy metal detection and preparation of portable devices for that purpose.
Dr. T. D. Dongale thank the Shivaji University, Kolhapur for the financial assistance under the ‘Research Initiation Scheme’. This work was supported by a grant from the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF), funded by the Korea government (MSIP) (2018R1C1B5046454) and (2018K2A9A1A01090636).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- 5.M. Fırat, S. Bakırdere, M.S. Fındıkoğlu, E.B. Kafa, E. Yazıcı, M. Yolcu, Ç. Büyükpınar, D.S. Chormey, S. Sel, F. Turak, Determination of trace amount of cadmium using dispersive liquid-liquid microextraction-slotted quartz tube-flame atomic absorption spectrometry. Spectrochim. Acta B 129, 37–41 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sab.2017.01.006 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.S. Das, M.J. Hossain, S.F. Leung, A. Lenox, Y. Jung, K. Davis, J.H. He, T. Roy, A leaf-inspired photon management scheme using optically tuned bilayer nanoparticles for ultra-thin and highly efficient photovoltaic devices. Nano Energy 58, 47–56 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nanoen.2018.12.072 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.S. Chakrabarti, S. Maikap, S. Samanta, S. Jana, A. Roy, J.T. Qiu, Scalable cross-point resistive switching memory and mechanism through an understanding of H2O2/glucose sensing using an IrOx/Al2O3/W structure. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 19, 25938–25948 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1039/c7cp05089e CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 38.S. Dehdashtian, M. Shamsipur, Modification of gold surface by electrosynthesized mono aza crown ether substituted catechol-terminated alkane dithiol and its application as a new electrochemical sensor for trace detection of cadmium ions. Colloids Surf. B 171, 494–500 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.07.063 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 39.H. Eranjaneya, P.S. Adarakatti, A. Siddaramanna, P. Malingappa, G.T. Chandrappa, Citric acid assisted synthesis of manganese tungstate nanoparticles for simultaneous electrochemical sensing of heavy metal ions. Mater. Sci. Semicond. Process. 86, 85–92 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mssp.2018.06.020 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 42.Y.Y. Zhang, X.Z. Chen, X.Y. Liu, M. Wang, J.J. Liu, G. Gao, X.Y. Zhang, R.Z. Sun, S.C. Hou, H.M. Wang, A highly sensitive multifunctional sensor based on phenylene-acetylene for colorimetric detection of Fe2+ and ratiometric fluorescent detection of Cd2+ and Zn2+. Sens. Actuators B 273, 1077–1084 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.snb.2018.07.012 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 46.V.S. Dongle, A.A. Dongare, N.B. Mullani, P.S. Pawar, P.B. Patil, J. Heo, T.J. Park, T.D. Dongale, Development of self-rectifying ZnO thin film resistive switching memory device using successive ionic layer adsorption and reaction method. J. Mater. Sci. 29, 18733–18741 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10854-018-9997-9 Google Scholar
- 47.T.D. Dongale, K.V. Khot, S.V. Mohite, N.D. Desai, S.S. Shinde, V.L. Patil, S.A. Vanalkar, A.V. Moholkar, K.Y. Rajpure, P.N. Bhosale, P.S. Patil, P.K. Gaikwad, R.K. Kamat, Effect of write voltage and frequency on the reliability aspects of memristor-based RRAM. Int. Nano Lett. 7, 209–216 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40089-017-0217-z CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 49.T.D. Dongale, P.J. Patil, N.K. Desai, P.P. Chougule, S.M. Kumbhar, P.P. Waifalkar, P.B. Patil, R.S. Vhatkar, M.V. Takale, P.K. Gaikwad, R.K. Kamat, TiO2 based nanostructured memristor for RRAM and Neuromorphic applications: a simulation approach. Nano Converg. 3, 1–7 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1186/s40580-016-0076-8 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 50.S.R. Patil, M.Y. Chougale, T.D. Rane, S.S. Khot, A.A. Patil, O.S. Bagal, S.D. Jadhav, A.D. Sheikh, S. Kim, T.D. Dongale, Solution-processable ZnO thin film memristive device for resistive random access memory application. Electronics 7, 445 (2018). https://doi.org/10.3390/electronics7120445 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 58.N.A. Rahman, N.A. Yusof, N.A.M. Maamor, S.M.M. Noor, Development of electrochemical sensor for simultaneous determination of Cd (II) and Hg(II) ion by exploiting newly synthesized cyclic dipeptide. Int. J. Electrochem. Sci. 7, 186–196 (2012)Google Scholar
- 59.Y. Wei, C. Gao, F.L. Meng, H.H. Li, L. Wang, J.H. Liu, X.J. Huang, SnO2/reduced graphene oxide nanocomposite for the simultaneous electrochemical detection of cadmium(II), lead(II), copper(II), and mercury(II): an interesting favorable mutual interference. J. Phys. Chem. C 116, 1034–1041 (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 61.J. Qian, K. Wang, C. Wang, C. Ren, Q. Liu, N. Hao, K. Wang, Ratiometric fluorescence nanosensor for selective and visual detection of cadmium ions using quencher displacement-induced fluorescence recovery of CdTe quantum dots-based hybrid probe. Sens. Actuators B 241, 1153–1160 (2017)CrossRefGoogle Scholar