Characterization of Er3+ doped ZnTeTa semiconducting oxide glass
- 12 Downloads
Er3+ doped zinc-tellurite oxide glasses based on 24ZnO.72TeO2.(4 − x)Ta2O5·xEr2O3 with different compositions of Er2O3 (x = 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2% mol) have successfully been synthesized by the conventional melt-quenching technique. Structures of these glasses have been investigated by means of XRD, DSC and ATR–FTIR spectroscopy. XRD results demonstrated that these glasses were amorphous. DSC measurements gave us glassy transition temperatures (Tg), crys tallization temperatures (Tc) and melting temperatures (Tm). Thermal stability (ΔT) was calculated to vary between 141–152 °C. In addition, DSC also yielded information on the formation of some phases based on temperature. It was understood that TeO2 forming the glass network was found to be as TeO4 tbp and TeO3 tp within the structure since they gave the bands at 570–600 cm−1 and 660–760 cm−1 in FTIR spectra, respectively. Optical properties, optical gaps and Urbach energies of the glasses were determined and their refractive index values were calculated according to the optical gaps. Optical gaps were found to be within the range of 3.10–3.17 eV. 12 characteristic bands belonging to Er3+ were determined from the absorbance spectra of synthesized glasses. Electrical conductivity, resistivity and density, molar volume values were also obtained and the results were reported.
The research activity was supported by Eskisehir Osmangazi University, scientific research council with Grant Nos. 201519D25 and 201419D02.
- 3.G. Nunziconti, S. Bemeschi, M. Bettinelli, M. Breei, B. Chen, S. Pelli, A. Speghini, G.C. Righini, J. Non-Cryst. Solids 345 & 346, 343 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.R. Balda, J. Fernández, M.A. Arriandiaga, J.M. Fernández-Navarro, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 19, 086223 (2007)Google Scholar
- 20.K. Sun, Preparation and characterization of rare earth glasses. (Thesis, Brown University 1988)Google Scholar
- 22.D.R. Uhlmann, N.J. Kreidl, Glass: science and technology, vol. 1 (Academics Press, New York, 1983)Google Scholar
- 26.G. Liu, B. Jacquier, Spectroscopic Properties of Rare earths in Optical Materials (Springer, Berlin, 2005)Google Scholar
- 34.U. Hoppe, E. Yousef, C. Rüssel, J. Neuefeind, A.C. Hannon, J. Phys.: Conden. Matter 16, 1645 (2004)Google Scholar
- 35.F. Ciorcas, S.K. Mendiratta, I. Ardelean, M.A. Valente, Eur. Phys. J. B 20, 235 (2001)Google Scholar