Synthesis, structure, optical, voltammetric and photocatalytic properties of manganese-activated ZnO
- 46 Downloads
Solid solutions Zn1−xMnxO (0 ≤ x ≤ 0.05) and composite materials Zn1−xMnxO:Mn3O4 have been synthesized by the precursor technology using mixed formate glycolate Zn1−xMnx(HCOO)(OCH2CH2O)1/2, glycolate Zn1−xMnx(OCH2CH2O) and glycerolate Zn1−xMnx(OCH2OCHCH2OH) (0 ≤ x ≤ 0.2) as precursors. The XRD patterns of all the samples confirmed the formation of ZnO wurtzite-type structure. They exhibited a high photocatalytic activity both under ultraviolet and visible irradiation. According to the voltammetry data, all the examined compounds contain Mn3+ ions in the surface layer, whose concentration increases upon transition to composites.
The X-ray study was carried out at the multiple-access centre for X-ray structure analysis at the Institute of Solid State Chemistry, UB RAS (Ekaterinburg, Russia). The absorption spectra were recorded in the Joint-Use Center for Spectroscopy and Analysis of organic compounds of Institute of Organic Synthesis of RAS (Ural Division). This work was carried out in accordance with the research plans and state assignment of the Institute of Solid State Chemistry of the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Grant No. 0397-2019-0003).
- 1.J.J. Schneider, R.C. Hoffmann, J. Engstler, S. Dilfer, A. Klyszcz, E. Erdem, P. Jakes, R.A. Eichel, Zinc oxide derived from single source precursor chemistry under chimie douce conditions: formation pathway, defect chemistry and possible applications in thin film printing. J. Mater. Chem. 19, 1449–1450 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1039/B816376F CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.M.T. Qamar, M. Aslam, Z.A. Rehan, M.T. Soomro, J.M. Basahi, I.M.I. Ismail, T. Almeelbi, A. Hameed, The influence of p-type Mn3O4 nanostructures on the photocatalytic activity of ZnO for the removal of bromo and chlorophenol in natural sunlight exposure. Appl. Catal. B 201, 105–118 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcatb.2016.08.004 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.O.I. Gyrdasova, V.N. Krasil’nikov, M.A. Melkozerova, E.V. Shalaeva, E.V. Zabolotskaya, L.Y. Buldakova, M.Y. Yanchenko, V.G. Bamburov, Synthesis, microstructure, and native defects of photoactive Zn1–xCuxO solid solutions (0≤x≤0.1) with tubular aggregates. Dokl. Chem. 447, 258–261 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1134/S0012500812110080 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.M.A. Melkozerova, V.N. Krasil’nikov, O.I. Gyrdasova, E.V. Shalaeva, I.V. Baklanova, L.Y. Buldakova, M.Y. Yanchenko, Effect of doping with 3d elements (Co, Ni, Cu) on the Intrinsic defect structure and photocatalytic properties of nanostructured ZnO with tubular morphology of aggregates. Phys. Solid State 55, 2459–2465 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1134/S106378341312024X CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.V.N. Krasil’nikov, T.V. Dyachkova, O.I. Gyrdasova, A.P. Tyutyunnik, V.V. Marchenkov, H.W. Weber, Room-temperature ferromagnetism in polycrystalline Zn1–xFexO (0≤x≤0.075) solid solutions synthesized by the precursor method. Mater. Chem. Phys. 162, 1–5 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matchemphys.2015.05.025 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.O.I. Gyrdasova, V.N. Krasil’nikov, I.V. Baklanova, L.Yu. Buldakova, I.V. Yanchenko, Synthesis, structure, and,optical and photocatalytic properties of quasi–one-dimensional ZnO doped with Со3O4 and carbon. Bull. Russ. Acad. Sci.: Physics. 80, 1298–1302 (2016). https://doi.org/10.3103/S1062873816110204 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.O.I. Gyrdasova, M.A. Melkozerova, I.V. Baklanova, L.Y. Buldakova, N.S. Sycheva, V.N. Krasil’nikov, M.Y. Yanchenko, Synthesis,structure, optical and photocatalytic properties of copper-activated ZnO. Mendeleev Commun. 27, 410–412 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mencom.2017.07.032 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.V.N. Krasil’nikov, T.V. Dyachkova, A.P. Tyutyunnik, O.I. Gyrdasova, M.A. Melkozerova, I.V. Baklanova, YuA Perevozchikova, S.M. Emelyanova, H.W. Weber, V.V. Marchenkov, Magnetic and optical properties as well as EPR studies of polycrystalline ZnO synthesized from different precursors. Mater. Res. Bull. 97, 553–559 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.materresbull.2017.09.061 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 40.S.S. Turkyilmaz, N. Guy, M. Ozacar, Photocatalytic efficiencies of Ni, Mn, Fe and Ag doped ZnO nanostructures synthesized by hydrothermal method: the synergistic/antagonistic effect between ZnO and metals. J. Photochem. Photobiol. A Chem. 341, 39–50 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphotochem.2017.03.027 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 42.I.V. Baklanova, V.N. Krasil’nikov, O.I. Gyrdasova, L.Y. Buldakova, M.Y. Yanchenko, Synthesis and optical and photocatalytic properties of manganese-doped titanium oxide with a three-dimensional architecture of particles. Mendeleev Commun. 26, 335–337 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mencom.2016.07.023 CrossRefGoogle Scholar