High performance polyetherketone-hexagonal boron nitride nanocomposites for electronic applications
- 6 Downloads
High-performance polymeric nanocomposites have been increasingly demanded by many cutting-edge fields. In present work, high-performance polymeric nanocomposites based on polyetherketone polymer as a matrix and hexagonal boron nitride (h-BN) nanopowder as reinforcement were successfully fabricated using planetary ball milling followed by hot pressing. The effects of h-BN loading (0–30 wt%) on the thermal stability, linear coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE), Vickers microhardness, and storage modulus/loss modulus were systematically investigated and discussed. Scanning electron microscopy showed good dispersion of h-BN nanoparticles into the matrix. The thermal stability of the nanocomposites was found more than 560 °C which is higher than that of commercial epoxy/E-glass based substrate. The linear CTE of the 30 wt% h-BN nanocomposite decreased approximately 20% compared to that of pure matrix. The microhardness and storage modulus of the nanocomposites were found to increase approximately 38% and 70%, respectively. Moreover, the glass transition temperature of the nanocomposites was increased compared to that of pure matrix.
The authors are thankful to Gharda Chemicals Ltd., India for providing PEK powder and to Prof. Balaji Sontakke, Research Scholar, Production Engineering, College of Engineering Pune, India for helping to carry out the DMA test.
- 1.M. Joshi, A. Goyal, S. Patil, R.K. Goyal, J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 133, 44409 (2016)Google Scholar
- 3.M.T. Sebastian, H. Jantunen, Int. J. Appl. Ceram. Technol. 7, 415 (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.L. Huang, P. Zhu, G. Li, F. Zhou, D. Lu, R. Sun, C. Wo, J. Mater. Sci. 26, 3564 (2015)Google Scholar
- 15.J. Wang, D. Zhao, X. Zou, L. Mao, L. Shi, J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 28, 12984 (2017)Google Scholar
- 16.L. Weng, H. Wang, X. Zhang, L. Liu, H. Zhang, J. Mater. Sci. 29, 14267 (2018)Google Scholar
- 17.X. Peng, X. Liu, P. Qu, B. Yang, J. Mater. Sci. 29, 16799 (2018)Google Scholar
- 18.Q. Chi, Y. Hao, T. Zhang, C. Zhang, Q. Chen, J. Mater. Sci. 29, 19678 (2018)Google Scholar
- 21.J. Chameswary, M.T. Sebastian, J. Mater. Sci. 26, 4629 (2015)Google Scholar
- 34.Electronic Materials Handbook, Packaging, vol. 1 (ASM International Handbook Committee, Materials Park, 1998)Google Scholar
- 35.R.T. Rao, J.R. Eugene, G.K. Alan, Microelectronics Packaging Handbook, Technology Drivers, Part I, 2nd edn. (Chapman and Hall, London, 1997)Google Scholar