Effect of electroplating parameters on electroplated Cu film and microvoid formation of solder joints
- 49 Downloads
The influences of electroplating parameters on electroplated Cu (EPC) film and void formation at the Sn3.0Ag0.5Cu (SAC305)/Cu interface were investigated. It is found that the size of Cu particles increased with the increase of current density or deposit thickness. The surface roughness of Cu films also increased with increasing current density. And the surface roughness of EPC films demonstrated decrement at first and then increment with the increase of deposit thickness. It is observed that the electrodeposition with higher current density or thicker Cu film tended to inhibit the growth of Cu(111) and favor the growth of Cu(220). After reflowing and thermal aging, the voiding level increased greatly as the current density and deposit thickness increased, and that total microvoid area increased gradually with increasing aging time for all electroplating conditions. Additionally, the variation in the current density and deposit thickness did not influence the intermetallic compound growth rate.
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 51465039 and 51765040), Natural Science Foundation of Jiangxi Province (20161BAB206122 and 20161BAB206128).
- 3.J.Y. Kim, J. Yu, T.Y. Lee, in Proceedings of the IEEE 57th electronic components & technology conference (IEEE, New York, 2007), pp. 1620–1625Google Scholar
- 4.P. Borgesen, L. Yin, P. Kondos, D.W. Henderson, G. Servis, J. Therriault et al. in Proceedings of the IEEE 57th electronic components & technology conference (IEEE, New York, 2007), pp. 136–146Google Scholar
- 25.X. Hu, Z. Ke, Growth behavior of interfacial Cu-Sn intermetallic compounds of Sn/Cu reaction couples during dip soldering and aging. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 25, 936–945 (2014)Google Scholar
- 26.X. Hu, X. Yu, Y. Li, Q. Huang, Y. Liu, Z. Min, Effect of strain rate on interfacial fracture behaviors of Sn-58Bi/Cu solder joints. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 25, 57–64 (2014)Google Scholar
- 27.X. Yu, X. Hu, Y. Li, T. Liu, R. Zhang, Z. Min, Tensile properties of Cu/Sn-58Bi/Cu soldered joints subjected to isothermal aging. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 25, 2416–2425 (2014)Google Scholar