Comparative study of interfacial interaction between aromatic and aliphatic functional group in solder wettability
- 41 Downloads
The effect of using different flux on wettability of Sn-Ag-Cu lead free solder were investigated. In this study, solder paste Sn-3.0Ag-0.5Cu (SAC305) was used by introducing two types of no-clean flux with different ingredients. The solders namely as SAC305-A and SAC305-B respectively. Then, the both solder paste manually printed on printed circuit board (PCB) using stencil printing and then reflowed at 260 °C temperature. Wettability of Sn-Ag-Cu solder using different flux was determined by contact angle measurement using Alicona ® IFM software. Results show the SAC305-A solder alloys have a good and better wettability with lower contact angle compared to SAC305-B. Functional groups of both solder flux was identified by FTIR analysis. Meanwhile XPS analysis was performed in characterizing the studied fluxes. It was found that no-clean flux solder with aromatic functional groups showed lower contact angle value and better wettability than aliphatic contained functional groups.
The authors gratefully acknowledge the financial support of this work from Ministry of Higher Education of Malaysia through My Brain 15 PHD scholarship programme and Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) for research grants GGPM-2017-048 and DPP-2015-042.
- 1.R. Nelson, C.F. Ana, F.T. Senhorinha, S. Delfim, C.T. Jose, C. Fatima, M. Francisco, Contact angle measurement of SAC 305 solder: numerical and experimental approach. J. Mater. Sci. 27(9), 8941–8950 (2016)Google Scholar
- 4.C. Li, M. Yan, M. Zhou, X. Ma, X. Zhang, H. Zhang, Q. Ye, Y. Huang. Effect of activators and surfactants in halogen-free fluxes on wettability of Sn-0.7Cu-0.05Ni solder on Cu substrate. 14th International Conference on Electronic Packaging Technology. 321–324 (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.F.A. Mario, H. Min, L.A. Viola, Effect of flux on the wetting characteristics of SnAg, SnCu, SnAgBi, and SnAgCu lead-free solders on copper substrates. J. Electron. Mater. 35(7), 1530–1536 (2003)Google Scholar
- 15.J.P. Karl, A.S. Kathleen, Handbook of Lead-Free Solder Technology for Microelectronic Assemblies (Marcel Dekker, Inc, New York, 2004)Google Scholar
- 20.T. Tal, S. Haim, M. Sabyaschi, A. Hadas, L. Keti, B. Tatyana, T.M. Dan, N.S. Chaim, V. Ayelet, C. David, Odd-even effect in molecular electronic transport via an aromatic ring. Am Chem. Soc. 30, 13596–13605 (2014)Google Scholar