Structural, magnetic and magnetodielectric study in the layered oxide BiPbSr2MnO6
- 55 Downloads
Layered oxide BiPbSr2MnO6 (BPSMO) is investigated from structural, magnetic and magnetodielectric perspective. Room temperature Rietveld refinement of neutron powder diffraction pattern shows that the compound crystallizes in orthorhombic ‘Amaa’ structure. Along with an antiferromagnetic ordering (TN) at 190 K, a weak ferromagnetic component is substantiated from magnetization isotherm measured at 175 K as well as temperature dependent neutron powder diffraction. Magnetic reflections were indexed in the nuclear lattice with propagation vector k = (0, 0, 0). Rietveld refinement of powder pattern at 2.8 K demonstrates that magnetic moments are almost normal to the a–b plane in an antiferromagnetic arrangement, but are canted slightly towards a–b plane. The Jahn–Teller distortion shows a substantial increase in the ordered state with decrease in temperature while the variation is trifling above the ordering temperature. The dielectric measurement shows a contrasting nature of the dielectric data for temperatures below and above TN, thus hinting a plausible magnetodielectric (MD) coupling. A confirmation to this coupling is seen in the temperature and field dependent magnetodielectric (MD) results. Substantial MD effect of ~ − 2% is observed at 175 K, near to the vicinity of magnetic transition.
AKS acknowledges the Board of Research in Nuclear Science (BRNS), Mumbai (Sanction No: 2012/37P/40/BRNS/2145), the UGC-DAE-CSR Mumbai (Sanction No: CRS-M-187, 225), and the Department of Science and Technology (DST), New Delhi (Sanction No: SR/FTP/PS-187/2011) for funding. SRM and BS have contributed equally to the manuscript. SRM is thankful to CSIR, India for SRF fellowship and BS thankful to DST, for the support through Inspire fellowship.
- 12.K. Yamauchi, S. Picozzi, J. Phys. 21, 064203 (2009)Google Scholar
- 18.C.B. Azzoni, M. Catti, A. Paleari, C. Pogliani, J. Phys. 9, 3931 (1997)Google Scholar
- 23.T. Hahn, in International tables for crystallography, Volume A: (Space-Group Symmetry, Published for the International Union of Crystallography, (Springer, New York, 2005)Google Scholar
- 24.E.F. Bertaut, Magnetism, ed. by G.T. Rado, H. Shul (Academic Press, New York, 1963), Vol. 3, p. 149Google Scholar
- 27.L. Vegard, Z. Kristallogr. 67, 239 (1928)Google Scholar