Tailoring sub-bandgap of CuGaS2 thin film via chromium doping by facile chemical spray pyrolysis technique
- 75 Downloads
Tailoring sub-bandgaps using intermediate states or bands with wide bandgap semiconductors is a promising and novel technique for the application in high efficiency solar cells. Pure and chromium (Cr) doped chalcopyrite CuGaS2 (CGS) thin films were prepared by facile chemical spray pyrolysis technique and annealed in vacuum, nitrogen and argon atmospheres. Structural characterization confirmed that the prepared films are in tetragonal chalcopyrite structure with polycrystalline nature. No secondary phases were present in both pure and Cr doped CGS thin films. Presence of Cr ions was confirmed by X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy and energy dispersive analysis of X-rays analyses. The optical direct and sub band gap of pristine and Cr doped CGS thin films were measured from UV absorption data. It was revealed that the pure CGS film has a band gap of 2.40 eV sub-band gap values were observed at 2.25 and 2.15 eV for 1 and 2 wt% of Cr doping, respectively. These gaps can be ascribed to the formation of intermediate bands due to hybridization of Cr d-states into the host electronic structure. Meanwhile, photoconductivity study demonstrated the photo-electric activity of the intermediate bands in the Cr doped thin films.
The authors would like to thank Tokyo University and VIT University for their constant support and encouragement. This work was performed under DST-JSPS bilateral project.
- 11.Z. Zhao Zongyan, Dacheng, Y. Juan, Analysis of the electronic structures of 3d transition metals doped CuGaS2 based on DFT calculations. J. Semicond. 35, 1 (2014)Google Scholar
- 30.S. Liu, L. Nie, R. Yuan, Growth, Structure and optical characterization of CuGaS2 thin films obtained by spray pyrolysis. Chalcogenide Lett. 12(3), 111–116 (2015)Google Scholar
- 31.C. Dong, PowderX, Windows-95-based program for powder X-ray diffraction data processing. J. Appl. Crystallogr. 32, 4 (1999)Google Scholar
- 34.S. Kalainathan, N. Ahsan, T. Hoshii, Y. Okada, T. Logu, K. Sethuraman, Synthesis, structural and optical studies of Yb doped CuGaS2 thin films prepared by facile chemical spray pyrolysis technique. Mech. Mater. Sci. Eng. 11, 1 (2017)Google Scholar
- 43.K. Sankarasubramanian, P. Soundarrajan, T. Logu, S. Kiruthika, K. Sethuraman, R. Ramesh Babu, K. Ramamurthi, Influence of Mn doping on structural, optical and electrical properties of CdO thin films prepared by cost effective spray pyrolysis method. Mater. Sci. Semicond. Process. 26, 346–353 (2014)CrossRefGoogle Scholar