Synthesis of phosphate-modified zeolite as a modifier in carbon paste electrode for nitrite electrochemical detection
- 23 Downloads
In this work, template-free synthesis of phosphate mordenite zeolites was carried out. Post synthesis impregnation using phosphoric acid was applied to add phosphate group to zeolite framework, i.e. P-loading. Phosphate modification led to disruption of bridging hydroxyl and silanol groups as confirmed by FT-IR spectra. EDX spectra showed that the Si/Al ratio of the zeolite increases with the amount of P-loading and 27Al NMR revealed the formation of aluminophosphate on mordenite. The modified electrodes of phosphate mordenite zeolite were used for the electrocatalytic oxidation of nitrite, which was investigated by using square wave voltammetry. The effect of different electrolytes and pH values were also investigated and the calibration curve of nitrite oxidation at phosphate mordenite carbon paste electrodes showed a linear dependence.
The authors would like to acknowledge the support provided by the Deanship of Scientific Research (DSR) at King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals for funding this work through Project No. JF141005. The facilities provided by the Chemistry Department and the Center of Research Excellence in Nanotechnology at King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals are highly appreciated.
- 2.A. Rahim, L.S.S. Santos, S.B.A. Barros, L.T. Kubota, R. Landers, Y. Gushikem, Electrochemical detection of nitrite in meat and water samples using a mesoporous carbon ceramic SiO2/c electrode modified with in situ generated manganese(II) phthalocyanine. Electroanalysis 26, 541–547 (2014)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.E. Nagababu, J. Rifkind, Measurement of plasma nitrite by chemiluminescence. In: Free Radicals and Antioxidant Protocols, eds. by R.M. Uppu, S.N. Murthy, W.A. Pryor, N.L. Parinandi (Humana Press, New York, 2010), pp. 41–49Google Scholar
- 18.J. Li, H. Ma, H. Zhang, Q. Sun, W. Ying, Catalytic cracking of butene to propylene over modified HZSM-5 zeolites. Int. J. Chem. Nucl. Metall. Mater. Eng. 8, 590–593 (2014)Google Scholar
- 20.N. Chen, T.F. Degnan Jr., C.M. Smith, Molecular Transport And Reaction in Zeolites: Design and Application of Shape Selective Catalysis (Wiley, New York, 1994)Google Scholar
- 25.S. Patwardhan, Sol-gel synthesis of zeolites: effect of process parameters. Zeolites: synthesis, characterization and applications. Project 20-254-689 (2001)Google Scholar
- 26.J. Pinkas, Chemistry of silicates and aluminosilicates. Ceramics−Silikáty 49, 287–298 (2005)Google Scholar
- 28.S. van Donk, J. Bitter, M. Versluijs-Helder, A. Verberckmoes, K. de Jong, Probing the micropore accessibility in mordenite crystals using diffusion and coking studies, in: NAM-18 (2003)Google Scholar
- 30.H.M.J. Li, H. Zhang, Q. Sun, W. Ying, Catalytic cracking of butene to propylene over modified HZSM-5 zeolites. Int. J. Chem. Nucl. Metall. Mater. Eng. 8, 604–608 (2014)Google Scholar
- 33.X.D. Peng, G.E. Parris, B.A. Toseland, P.J. Battavio, Use of aluminum phosphate as the dehydration catalyst in single step dimethyl ether process, in Google Patents (1998)Google Scholar