Single-step electrochemical deposition of Mn2+ doped FeS2 thin films on ITO conducting glass substrates: physical, electrochemical and electrocatalytic properties
- 14 Downloads
Mn2+ doped FeS2 thin films were deposited on ITO coated conducting glass substrate at 50 °C in an aqueous medium by simple electrochemical deposition technique. The structural and phase purity of the Mn2+ doped FeS2 thin films were investigated using XRD technique. The XRD analysis revelaed that the fabricated thin films were cubic structure along with the (200) plane preferential orientation. The diffraction peak slightly shifted towards lower 2θ values which confirmed that doping of Mn ions into FeS2 host matrixes. The calculated band gap energy of Mn2+ doped FeS2 thin films showed a red shift of absorption edge compared to undoped FeS2 thin film. EIS indicated that Mn2+ doped FeS2 thin films showed lower charge transfer resistance with better conductivity nature compared to undoped sample. Moreover, the photo electrochemical measurements carried out for the optimized Mn2+ doped FeS2 thin film which revealed the faster migration of photo-induced charge-carriers. Electro catalytic activity of Mn-doped FeS2 thin films were studied for the redox reaction of iodide/triiodide (I−/I3−) by using cyclic voltammetry measurement.
One of the authors (P. Prabukanthan) wishes to acknowledge University Grant Commission (UGC), India, for the financial assistance through major research project (MRP) scheme [File No. 43-399/2014(SR)].
- 10.E.J. Kim, B. Batchelor, Synthesis and characterization of pyrite (FeS2) using microwave irradiation. Mater. Res. Bull. 44, 1553–1558 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.materresbull.2009.02.006 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.D. Lichtenberger, K. Ellmer, R. Schieck, S. Fiechter, H. Tributsch, Structural, optical and electrical properties of polycrystalline iron pyrite layers deposited by reactive d.c. magnetron sputtering. Thin Solid Films 246, 6–12 (1994). https://doi.org/10.1016/0040-6090(94)90723-4 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Q. Yu, S. Cai, Z. Jin, Z. Yan, Evolutions of composition, microstructure and optical properties of Mn doped pyrite (FeS2) films prepared by chemical bath deposition. Mater. Res. Bull. 48, 3601–3606 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.materresbull.2013.05.074 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.N. Arbi, I. Ben Assaker, M. Gannouni, A. Kriaa, R. Chtourou, Effect of manganese concentration on physical and electrochemical properties of Mn2+ doped ZnS thin films deposited onto ITO-(glass) substrates by electordeposition techniques. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 28, 4997–5005 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10854-016-6155-0 Google Scholar
- 19.F. Martinez-Rojas, M. Hssein, Z. El Jouad, F. Armijo, L. Cattin, G. Louarn, N. Stephant, M.A. del Valle, M. Addou, J.P. Soto, J.C. Bernede, Mo(SxOy) thin films deposited by electrochemistry for application in organic photovoltaic cells. Mater. Chem. Phys. 201, 331–338 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matchemphys.2017.08.021 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.P. Prabukanthan, R.J. Soukup, N.J. Ianno, A. Sarkar, C.A. .Kamler, E.L. Extrom, J. Olejnicek, S.A. Darveau, Chemical bath deposition (CBD) of iron sulfide thin films for photovoltaic applications, crystallographic and optical properties. In Proceedings of the 35th Photovoltaics specialists Conference, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), pp. 002965–002969 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1109/PVSC.2010.5614465
- 27.X. Zuo, R. Zhang, B. Yang, G. Li, H. Tang, H. Zhang, M. Wu, Y. Ma, S. Jin, K. Zhu, NiS nanoparticles anchored on reduced grapheme oxide to enhance the performance of dye-sensitized solar cells. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 26, 8176–8181 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10854-015-3478-1 Google Scholar