Surface modification of Li1.20Mn0.54Ni0.13Co0.13O2 cathode materials with SmF3 and the improved electrochemical properties
The Li1.20Mn0.54Ni0.13Co0.13O2 cathode materials with the different SmF3 coating contents were successfully synthesized through the typical wet chemical method. The X-ray diffractometer, scanning electron microscopy, transmission electron microscope, X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy and galvanostatic charge–discharge tests were adopted to investigate the influence of SmF3 layer on the crystal structural, morphology and electrochemical properties of Li1.20Mn0.54Ni0.13Co0.13O2. The results showed that the cathode materials were successfully coated with SmF3 without changing its micro-structure. Besides, the electrochemical tests results demonstrated that electrochemical properties of Li1.20Mn0.54Ni0.13Co0.13O2 were significantly enhanced after applying the SmF3 coating. The specific discharge capacity of the 2 wt% SmF3 coated Li1.20Mn0.54Ni0.13Co0.13O2 is 30.4 mAh g−1 higher than that of pristine one at 0.5C rate. Meanwhile, the 2 wt% SmF3 coated Li1.20Mn0.54Ni0.13Co0.13O2 delivered an outstanding cycle stability with a high capacity retention of 91.4% after 100 cycles, while the pristine one showed the less discharge capacity and a low capacity retention of 85.2%. The enhanced electrochemical properties could be ascribed to the SmF3 coating layer, which not only stabilizes the cathode structure by restricting the side reaction between cathodes materials with electrolyte, but also relieves the increase of impedance for Li+ migration across the electrode/electrolyte interface during cycling.
This work was supported by Shandong Provincial Natural Science Foundation, China (ZR2016EEP11); Shandong province key research and development project, China (2017GSF216008).
- 1.J. Ou, L. Yang, X.H. Xi, Flour-assisted simple fabrication of LiCoO2 with enhanced electrochemical performances for lithium ion batteries. J. Mater. Sci. 27, 9008–9014 (2016)Google Scholar
- 7.L. Li, Y. Cao, H. Zheng, C. Feng, AlPO4 coated LiNi1/3Co1/3Mn1/3O2 for high performance cathode material in lithium batteries. J. Mater. Sci. 28, 1925–1930 (2017)Google Scholar
- 16.G. Wu, J. Li, K. Wang, Y. Wang, C. Pan, A. Feng, In situ synthesis and preparation of TiO2/polyimide composite containing phenolphthalein functional group. J. Mater. Sci. 28, 6544–6551 (2017)Google Scholar
- 17.C. Pan, K. Kou, G. Wu, Y. Zhang, Y. Wang, Fabrication and characterization of AlN/PTFE composites with low dielectric constant and high thermal stability for electronic packaging. J. Mater. Sci. 27, 286–292 (2016)Google Scholar
- 19.Y. Zuo, B. Huang, C. Jiao, R. Lv, G. Liang, Enhanced electrochemical properties of Li[Li0.2Mn0.54Ni0.13Co0.13]O2 with ZrF4 surface modification as cathode for Li-ion batteries. J. Mater. Sci. 29, 524–534 (2018)Google Scholar
- 24.G.F. Xu, Q.R. Xue, J.L. Li, Z.Y. Li, X.P. Li, T.H. Yu, J.G. Li, X.D. Wang, F.Y. Kang, Understanding the enhanced electrochemical performance of samarium substituted Li[Li0.2Mn0.54 – xSmxCo0.13Ni0.13]O2 cathode material for lithium ion batteries. Solid State Ionics 293, 7–12 (2016)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Z. Shen, D. Li, Influence of lithium content on the structural and electrochemical properties of Li1.20+xMn0.54Ni0.13Co0.13O2 cathode materials for Li-ion batteries. J. Mater. Sci. 28, 13257–13266 (2017)Google Scholar
- 28.X. Li, L. Zheng, Z. Zang, T. Liu, F. Cao, X. Sun, S. Sun, Q. Niu, Y. Lu, T. Ohsaka, J. Wu, Multiply depolarized composite cathode of Li1.2Mn0.54Ni0.13Co0.13O2 embedded in a combinatory conductive network for lithium-ion battery with superior overall performances. J. Alloys Compd. 744, 41–50 (2018)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.S. Ma, X. Hou, Y. Li, Q. Ru, S. Hu, K. Lam, Performance and mechanism research of hierarchically structured Li-rich cathode materials for advanced lithium–ion batteries. J. Mater. Sci. 28, 2705–2715 (2017)Google Scholar
- 35.X. Ma, H. He, Y. Sun, Y. Zhang, Synthesis of Li1.2Mn0.54Co0.13Ni0.13O2 by sol-gel method and its electrochemical properties as cathode materials for lithium-ion batteries. J. Mater. Sci. 28, 16665–16671 (2017)Google Scholar