Copolymerization strategy to prepare polymethyl methacrylate-based copolymer with broad-band ultraviolet shielding and luminescent down-shifting properties
- 176 Downloads
In this contribution, copolymerization strategy was reported to prepare polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA)-based ultraviolet (UV) shielding copolymers where polymerizable UV absorbers were synthesized and further copolymerized with methyl methacrylate. The copolymer was characterized by 1H NMR, GPC, TGA, and UV–Vis spectroscopy. The prepared copolymer was found to exhibit high thermal stability compared with its blending counterparts, along with quite a high UV shielding efficiency demonstrated by the fact that full-band UV blocking was achieved when only 2% UV absorbers were added to copolymer. Furthermore, this copolymer also obtained high quantum yield luminescence that emitted bright blue light under UV irradiation. Given its good stability, high UV blocking efficiency, and outstanding luminescence property, the prepared PMMA copolymer is expected to have promising potential in UV shielding and photovoltaic applications.
The authors gratefully acknowledge the financial support from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 51773120, 51802201), the Natural Science Foundation of Guangdong (Grant Nos. 2016A030313050, 2017A030310045), the Science and Technology Project of Shenzhen City (Grant Nos. JCYJ20170412105034748), the Top Talent Launch Scientific Research Projects of Shenzhen (827-000133), and the Graduate Innovation and Development Foundation of Shenzhen University (PIDFP-ZR2018030).
- 2.Rabek JF (1995) Polymer photodegradation. In: Mechanisms and experimental methods. Chapman & Hall, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 3.Pattison DI, Davies MJ (2006) Actions of ultraviolet light on cellular structures. In: Cancer: cell structures, carcinogens and genomic instability. Experientia supplementum, vol 96. Birkhäuser Basel, pp 131–157Google Scholar
- 19.Griffini G, Bella F, Nisic F, Dragonetti C, Levi M, Bongiovanni R, Turri S (2015) Multifunctional luminescant down-shifting fluoropolymer coating: a straightforward strategy to improve the UV-light harvesting ability and long-term outdoor stability of organic dye-sensitized solar cells. Adv Energy Mater 5:1401312CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Birks JB (1970) Photophysics of aromatic molecules. Wiley, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 28.Uekert T, Solodovnyk A, Ponomarenko S, Osvet A, Levchuk I, Gast J, Batentschuk M, Forberich K, Stern E, Egelhaaf HJ, Brabec CJ (2016) Nanostructured organosilicon luminophores in highly efficient luminescent down-shifting layers for thin film photovoltaics. Sol Energy Mater Sol Cells 155:1–8CrossRefGoogle Scholar