A doxorubicin and vincristine drug release system based on magnetic PLGA microspheres prepared by coaxial electrospray
- 15 Downloads
In this study, we demonstrated a novel doxorubicin and vincristine-loaded PLGA magnetic microspheres prepared by coaxial electrospray, as a drug delivery system for osteosarcoma treatment. The results showed that microspheres had an minimum mean diameter of 0.32 ± 0.25 μm and exhibited a spherical shape. The particle size distribution changed obviously with the different dosing ways. The entrapment efficiency was found to be 65.72, 73.6 and 74.14% for different microspheres. In vitro degradation research showed that circular pores appeared gradually on the surface of particles with the increase in time, which accelerated the degradation of microspheres. CCK-8 test showed that the Fe3O4@PLGA microspheres without drug loading had almost no side effects, the cytotoxicity of Fe3O4@P/(V + D), Fe3O4@(P + D)/V and Fe3O4@(P + V)/D microspheres increased in turn, and Fe3O4@(P + V)/D microspheres with minimum particle size could significantly arrest the growth of osteosarcoma saos-2 cells. Therefore, the drug-loaded magnetic microspheres have good killing effect on osteosarcoma cell lines, which can be used as an ideal targeting treatment for postoperative adjuvant therapy of osteosarcoma.
The work was supported by Jilin Province Health Project 2018 (3D517EB73428) and Key Project of Science and Technology Development Plan, Jilin Province of China (20170204042GX).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.American Cancer Society (2016) Cancer facts & figures 2016, cancer facts fig. 2016., pp 1–9. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NNR.0000289503.22414.79 Google Scholar
- 3.Chen W, Sun K, Zheng R, Zeng H, Zhang S, Xia C, Yang Z, Li H, Zou X, He J (2018) Cancer incidence and mortality in China, 2014. Chin J Cancer Res 30(2018):1–12. https://doi.org/10.21147/j.issn.1000-9604.2018.01.01 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Unni KK, Inwards CY, Dahlin DC (1996) Dahlin’s bone tumors: general aspects and data on 10,165 cases. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, PhiladelphiaGoogle Scholar
- 8.Ahmad H, Nurunnabi M, Rahman MM, Kumar K, Tauer K, Minami H, Gafur MA (2014) Magnetically doped multi stimuli-responsive hydrogel microspheres with IPN structure and application in dye removal. J Colloids Surf A Physicochem Eng Asp 459:39–47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2014.06.038 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Motornov M, Roiter Y, Tokarev I, Minko S (2010) Stimuli-responsive nanoparticles, nanogels and capsules for integrated multifunctional intelligent systems. J Prog Polym Sci 35:174–211. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.progpolymsci.2009.10.004 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Malik SA, Ng WH, Bowen J, Tang J, Gomez A, Kenyon AJ, Day RM (2016) Electrospray synthesis and properties of hierarchically structured PLGA TIPS microspheres for use as controlled release technologies. J Colloid Interface Sci 467:220–229. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2016.01.021 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Fornari FA, Randolph JK, Yalowich JC, Ritke MK, Gewirtz DA (1994) Interference by doxorubicin with DNA unwinding in MCF-7 breast tumor cells. J Mol Pharmacol 45:649–656Google Scholar
- 23.Jones SE, Durie BGM, Salmon SE (1975) Combination chemotherapy with adriamycin and cyclophosphamide for advance breast cancer. J Cancer 36:90–97. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(197507)36:1%3c90:AID-CNCR2820360104%3e3.0.CO;2-H CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Suryanarayan K, Natkunam Y, Berry G, Bangs CD, Cherry A, Dahl G (2001) Modified cyclophosphamide, hydroxydaunorubicin, vincristine, and prednisone therapy for postransplantation lymphoproliferative disease in pediatric patients undergoing solid organ transplantation. J Pediatr Hematol Off J Am Soc Pediatr Hematol 23:452–455. https://doi.org/10.1097/00043426-200110000-00012 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Engert A, Franklin J, Eich HT, Brillant C, Sehlen S, Cartoni C, Herrmann R, Pfreundschuh M, Sieber M, Tesch H, Franke A, Koch P, De Wit M, Paulus U, Hasenclever D, Loeffler M, Müller RP, Müller-Hermelink HK, Dühmke E, Diehl V (2007) Two cycles of doxorubicin, bleomycin, vinblastine, and dacarbazine plus extended-field radiotherapy is superior to radiotherapy alone in early favorable Hodgkin’s lymphoma: final results of the GHSG HD7 trial. J Clin Oncol 25:3495–3502. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.07.0482 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 37.Mosafer J, Abnous K, Tafaghodi M, Jafarzadeh H, Ramezani M (2017) Preparation and characterization of uniform-sized PLGA nanospheres encapsulated with oleic acid-coated magnetic-Fe3O4 nanoparticles for simultaneous diagnostic and therapeutic applications. J Colloids Surf A Physicochem Eng Asp 514:146–154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2016.11.056 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 38.Mosafer J, Teymouri M, Abnous K, Tafaghodi M, Ramezani M (2017) Study and evaluation of nucleolin-targeted delivery of magnetic PLGA-PEG nanospheres loaded with doxorubicin to C6 glioma cells compared with low nucleolin-expressing L929 cells. J Mater Sci Eng C 72:123–133. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msec.2016.11.053 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 42.Zhang P, Ling G, Sun J, Zhang T, Yuan Y, Sun Y, Wang Z, He Z (2011) Multifunctional nanoassemblies for vincristine sulfate delivery to overcome multidrug resistance by escaping P-glycoprotein mediated efflux. J Biomater 32:5524–5533. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biomaterials.2011.04.022 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 43.Ling G, Zhang P, Zhang W, Sun J, Meng X, Qin Y, Deng Y, He Z (2010) Development of novel self-assembled DS-PLGA hybrid nanoparticles for improving oral bioavailability of vincristine sulfate by P-gp inhibition. J Control Release 148:241–248. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jconrel.2010.08.010 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 44.Rescignano N, Tarpani L, Romani A, Bicchi I, Mattioli S, Emiliani C, Torre L, Kenny JM, Martino S, Latterini L, Armentano I (2016) In-vitro degradation of PLGA nanoparticles in aqueous medium and in stem cell cultures by monitoring the cargo fluorescence spectrum. J Polym Degrad Stab 134:296–304. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymdegradstab.2016.10.017 CrossRefGoogle Scholar