Microcrystalline Gd2MoO6 prepared by combined mechanochemical/thermal process and its magnetic properties
- 89 Downloads
Gadolinium oxymolybdate, Gd2MoO6 (monoclinic, C2/c) was prepared via nonconventional mechanochemical/thermal process from powdered oxide precursors (Gd2O3 and (NH4)2MoO4). The effect of mechanical activation via high-energy ball milling on the reactivity of the stoichiometric Gd2O3 + (NH4)2MoO4 mixture was studied by thermal analysis (TG-DSC) and Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy. While thermal treatment of nonactivated mixture leads only to decomposition of (NH4)2MoO4 and formation of Gd2O3–MoO3 system, mechanical activation provides enough energy for a chemical reaction between both reactants. The product with an average crystallite size of approximately 1 μm shows a well-faceted morphology. The investigation of magnetic properties revealed antiferromagnetic coupling, which is attributed to exchange interactions.
The present work is supported by the projects of Slovak Grant Agency VEGA (2/0175/17, 2/0044/18) and APVV (14-0073, 14-0103).
- 8.Kumar JV, Karthik R, Chen SM, Natarajan K, Karuppiah C, Yang CC, Muthuraj V (2018) 3D flower-like gadolinium molybdate catalyst for efficient detection and degradation of organophosphate pesticide (fenitrothion). ACS Appl Mater Inter 10(18):15652–15664. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.8b00625 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Turianicová E, Witte R, Da Silva KL, Zorkovská A, Senna M, Hahn H, Heitjans P, Šepelák V (2017) Combined mechanochemical/thermal synthesis of microcrystalline pyroxene LiFeSi2O6 and one-step mechanosynthesis of nanoglassy LiFeSi2O6-based composite. J Alloy Compd 707:310–314. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2016.11.172 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Fuentes AF, Boulahya K, Maczka M, Hanuza J, Amador U (2005) Synthesis of disordered pyrochlores, A2Ti2O7 (A = Y, Gd and Dy), by mechanical milling of constituent oxides. Solid State Sci 7:343–353. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solidstatesciences.2005.01.002 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Chithambararaj A, Sanjini NS, Velmathi S, Chandra Bose A (2013) Preparation of h-MoO3 and a-MoO3 nanocrystals: comparative study on photocatalytic degradation of methylene blue under visible light irradiation. Phys Chem Chem Phys 15:14761–14769. https://doi.org/10.1039/c3cp51796a CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Tyulin AV, Efremov VA (1987) Polymorphism of oxytungstates Tr2WO6. Analysis of structural type II (Gd2WO6 and Gd2MoO6). Mechanism of structural change in Gd2WO6 in the phase transition II. Kristallografiya 32:371–377Google Scholar