Photoactive multi-walled carbon nanotubes: synthesis and utilization of benzoin functional MWCNTs
- 23 Downloads
This study describes a facile method for the synthesis of functionalized multi-walled carbon nanotubes (MWCNTs) carrying photoactive group. The synthesis of MWCNTs-based macro-photoinitiator was achieved by the esterification reaction between benzoin moiety and acyl chloride functional MWCNTs. Synthesized MWCNT-based photoinitiator (MWCNTs–benzoin) was used in the photopolymerization of styrene to yield polystyrene (PS)-grafted MWCNTs (MWCNTs–PS) by “grafting from” method. The efficiency of MWCNTs–benzoin photoinitiator was determined by evaluating the effect of initiator to monomer ratio and reaction period on photopolymerization of styrene. Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy, Raman and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy analyses confirmed the covalent bonding for functionalization of MWCNTs and determined the final structures. Thermogravimetric analysis, gel permeation chromatography and UV spectroscopy were performed to evaluate the grafting efficiency of PS that covalently grafted to MWCNTs, and high efficiency of MWCNTs–benzoin as a macro-photoinitiator was also confirmed. Scanning electron microscopy was used to determine the surface morphology of functionalized MWCNTs and MWCNTs–PS.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
There is no conflict of interest between the authors of this manuscript.
- 12.Martin CR, Kohli P (2003) The emerging field of nanotube biotechnology. Nat Rev 2:29–37Google Scholar
- 35.Yang C, Guenzi M, Cicogna F, Gambarotti C, Filippone G, Pinzino C, Passaglia E, Dintcheva NT et al (2016) Grafting of polymer chains on the surface of carbon nanotubes via nitroxide radical coupling reaction. Polymer 65:48–56Google Scholar
- 42.Plambeck L Jr (1956) Photographic preparation of relief images. US Patent 2760863Google Scholar
- 48.Ma PC, Kim JK (2011) Carbon nanotubes for polymer reinforcement. CRC Press, Boca RatonGoogle Scholar
- 49.Jorio A, Pimenta MA, Filho AGS, Saito R, Dresselhaus G, Dresselhaus MS (2003) Characterizing carbon nanotube samples with resonance raman scattering. New J Phys 139:1–17Google Scholar