Chemical reduction implanted oxygen vacancy on the surface of 1D MoO3−x/g-C3N4 composite for boosted LED light-driven photoactivity
- 173 Downloads
There is an important demand for cheap and efficient photocatalysts for dual functional applications. In the study, we report novel 1D MoO3−x/g-C3N4 composite using ethanol as a reducing agent to introduce oxygen vacancy (Ov). The presence of oxygen vacancy has been confirmed by X-ray photoelectron (XPS), electron spin resonance spectra and redox experiments. Compared with MoO3−x, g-C3N4 and fully oxidized MoO3/g-C3N4, the proposed MoO3−x/g-C3N4 composite exhibited a higher photoactivity, effectively degrading methyl orange in 100 min and completely inactivating Escherichia coli in 15 min under visible light-emitting diode irradiation. Trapping experiments demonstrated that holes (h+) and superoxide radicals (·O2−) were the major active species involved in the photocatalytic process. The enhanced photoactivity was attributed to: (1) broadening of the light absorption range associated with the oxygen vacancy, which also served as electron mediators, facilitating the separation of electron–hole pairs, and (2) the 1D nanostructure of MoO3−x, which increased the lifetime of charge carriers. The results provide evidence of the advantages of the introduction of oxygen vacancy with a view to broadening the applications of this photocatalyst.
The authors genuinely appreciate the financial support of this work from the National Nature Science Foundation of China (21406094, 21476097 and 21476098), Postdoctoral Foundation of China (2015M571693) and Foundation of Jiangsu University (14JDG184). This study was supported by the high-performance computing platform of Jiangsu University.
- 4.Gholizadeh Khasevani S, Gholami MR (2018) Engineering a highly dispersed core@shell structure for efficient photocatalysis: a case study of ternary novel BiOI@MIL-88A(Fe)@g-C3N4 nanocomposite. Mater Res Bull 106:93–102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.materresbull.2018.05.024 Google Scholar
- 9.Nayak S, Parida KM (2018) Dynamics of charge-transfer behavior in a plasmon-induced quasi-type-II p–n/n–n dual heterojunction in Ag@Ag3PO4/g-C3N4/NiFe LDH nanocomposites for photocatalytic Cr(VI) reduction and phenol oxidation. ACS Omega 3(7):7324–7343. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsomega.8b00847 Google Scholar
- 22.Chen D, Wu S, Fang J, Lu S, Zhou G, Feng W, Yang F, Chen Y, Fang Z (2018) A nanosheet-like α-Bi2O3/g-C3N4 heterostructure modified by plasmonic metallic Bi and oxygen vacancies with high photodegradation activity of organic pollutants. Sep Purif Technol 193:232–241. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2017.11.011 Google Scholar
- 28.Luo Z, Miao R, Huan TD, Mosa IM, Poyraz AS, Zhong W, Cloud JE, Kriz DA, Thanneeru S, He J, Zhang Y, Ramprasad R, Suib SL (2016) Mesoporous MoO3−x material as an efficient electrocatalyst for hydrogen evolution reactions. Adv Energy Mater 6(16):1600528. https://doi.org/10.1002/aenm.201600528 Google Scholar
- 29.Alsaif MMYA, Chrimes AF, Daeneke T, Balendhran S, Bellisario DO, Son Y, Field MR, Zhang W, Nili H, Nguyen EP, Latham K, van Embden J, Strano MS, Ou JZ, Kalantar-zadeh K (2016) High-performance field effect transistors using electronic inks of 2D molybdenum oxide nanoflakes. Adv Funct Mater 26(1):91–100. https://doi.org/10.1002/adfm.201503698 Google Scholar
- 31.Cheng H, Kamegawa T, Mori K, Yamashita H (2014) Surfactant-free nonaqueous synthesis of plasmonic molybdenum oxide nanosheets with enhanced catalytic activity for hydrogen generation from ammonia borane under visible light. Angew Chem Int Ed 53(11):2910–2914. https://doi.org/10.1002/anie.201309759 Google Scholar
- 38.Lu Z, Zhao X, Zhu Z, Song M, Gao N, Wang Y, Ma Z, Shi W, Yan Y, Dong H (2016) A novel hollow capsule-like recyclable functional ZnO/C/Fe3O4 endowed with three-dimensional oriented recognition ability for selectively photodegrading danofloxacin mesylate. Catal Sci Technol 6(17):6513–6524. https://doi.org/10.1039/c6cy00927a Google Scholar
- 50.Li K, Zeng X, Gao S, Ma L, Wang Q, Xu H, Wang Z, Huang B, Dai Y, Lu J (2016) Ultrasonic-assisted pyrolyzation fabrication of reduced SnO2–x/g-C3N4 heterojunctions: enhance photoelectrochemical and photocatalytic activity under visible LED light irradiation. Nano Res 9(7):1969–1982. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12274-016-1088-8 Google Scholar
- 51.Xie Z, Feng Y, Wang F, Chen D, Zhang Q, Zeng Y, Lv W, Liu G (2018) Construction of carbon dots modified MoO3/g-C3N4 Z-scheme photocatalyst with enhanced visible-light photocatalytic activity for the degradation of tetracycline. Appl Catal B 229:96–104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcatb.2018.02.011 Google Scholar
- 54.Deng Y, Tang L, Feng C, Zeng G, Chen Z, Wang J, Feng H, Peng B, Liu Y, Zhou Y (2018) Insight into the dual-channel charge-charrier transfer path for nonmetal plasmonic tungsten oxide based composites with boosted photocatalytic activity under full-spectrum light. Appl Catal B 235:225–237. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcatb.2018.04.075 Google Scholar
- 56.Yi J, Li H, Gong Y, She X, Song Y, Xu Y, Deng J, Yuan S, Xu H, Li H (2019) Phase and interlayer effect of transition metal dichalcogenide cocatalyst toward photocatalytic hydrogen evolution: the case of MoSe2. Appl Catal B Environmental 243:330–336. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcatb.2018.10.054 Google Scholar
- 57.Xu H, Yi J, She X, Liu Q, Song L, Chen S, Yang Y, Song Y, Vajtai R, Lou J, Li H, Yuan S, Wu J, Ajayan PM (2018) 2D heterostructure comprised of metallic 1T-MoS2/Monolayer O-g-C3N4 towards efficient photocatalytic hydrogen evolution. Appl Catal B 220:379–385. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcatb.2017.08.035 Google Scholar