Inhibition of surface bound carbonate stabilization of tetragonal zirconia
- 120 Downloads
Water is known to initiate a tetragonal to monoclinic phase transformation in zirconia particles. Carbonates on the zirconia surface react with water molecules and hence reduce the transformation rate. This study investigates the possibility of inhibition of the reaction between surface carbonates and water in order to increase the transformation rate in the zirconia crystals. It was found possible to limit the reaction by reacting the surface carbonates with alcohols, a thiol and a primary amide prior to reaction with water. It was also concluded that di- and trialcohols are able to stabilize the tetragonal phase, probably as a result of induced lattice strain.
KeywordsZirconia Tetragonal Zirconia Zirconia Particle Zirconia Sample Polymerization Shrinkage
Financial support from DentoFit A/S is gratefully acknowledged. We thank Dr. Keld West for assistance with the autosorbtion studies.
- 1.Powers JM, Sakaguchi RL (2006) In: Craig’s restorative dental materials, 12th ed. Mosby Elsevier, United States of AmericaGoogle Scholar
- 3.Skovgaard M, Almdal K, Sorensen BF, Linderoth S, van Lelieveld A (2011) J Compos Mater (in press)Google Scholar
- 4.Skovgaard M, Almdal K, van Lelieveld A (submitted for publication)Google Scholar
- 7.Van Lelieveld, A, Almdal, K, Linderoth, S and Sorensen, BF (2005) WO2005099652-A1; NO200604920-A; EP1737415-A1; AU2005232365-A1; CN1950053-A; BR200509889-A; MX2006011038-A1; JP2007532589-W; KR2007015946-A; EP1737415-B1; US2008119585-A1; DE602005006549-E; EP1952793-A2; ZA200608230-A; KR858373-B1; ES2307170-T3Google Scholar
- 9.Van Lelieveld A, Nielsen MS, Almdal K, Linderoth S (2007) WO2007104312-A2; WO2007104312-A3; EP1996144-A2; US2010016465-A1Google Scholar
- 11.Toraya H, Yoshimura M, Somiya S (1984) J Am Ceram Soc 67:C119Google Scholar