Dynamic tests of cemented paste backfill: effects of strain rate, curing time, and cement content on compressive strength
- 601 Downloads
This article investigates the compressive strength of cemented paste backfill (CPB) under dynamic loading. To accommodate the low impedance CPB, a modified split Hopkinson pressure bar (SHPB) system is adopted. In contrast to traditional solid steel transmitted bar, a hollow aluminum transmitted bar is introduced to reduce the impedance. With this system, the dynamic stress equilibrium is achieved, which guarantees the valid dynamic material testing condition. The dynamic tests are conducted for CPB with different cement contents and curing time. It is observed that: (1) for CPB with the same curing time and cement content, the dynamic strength increases with the strain rate, (2) for CPB with the same cement content, the dynamic strength increases with the curing time, and (3) for CPB with the same curing time and tested under similar strain rate, the dynamic strength increases with the percentage of cement. This observation can be understood by considering the hydration process of cements.
KeywordsCompressive Strength Portland Cement Uniaxial Compressive Strength Rock Burst Mine Tailing
This work is supported by NSERC/Discovery grant # 72031326 and NSERC/CRD grant # 364719 in association with Barrick Gold Corporation, Xstrata Copper Canada Ltd., and Inmet Mining Corporation. K.X. also acknowledges the financial support by the opening project (#Z110802) of State Key Laboratory of Science and Technology (Beijing Institute of Technology).
- 1.Belem T, Benzaazoua M (2004) In: Villaescusa and Potvin (eds) The 5th International Symposium on Ground Support in Mining and Underground Construction. Taylor & Francis Group, Perth, Australia, p 637Google Scholar
- 2.Landriault D, Lidkea W (1993) In: Bawden and Archibald (eds) Innovative mine design for the 21st century: Proceedings of the International Congress on Mine Design, Kingston, Canada, p 111 Google Scholar
- 9.Kaiser PK, McCreath DR, Tannant DD (1996) Rockburst research handbook. CAMIRO Mining Division, Sudbury Google Scholar
- 10.Kolsky H (1949) Proc R Soc A B62:676Google Scholar
- 11.Nemat-Nasser S (2000) In: Kuhn H and Medlin D (eds) ASM metals handbook, vol 8: mechanical testing and evaluation. ASM International, Materials Park, p 3Google Scholar