The variation in lateral and longitudinal stress gauge response within an RTM 6 epoxy resin under one-dimensional shock loading
- 267 Downloads
The dynamic response of a commercially important epoxy resin (RTM 6) has been studied using plate impact experiments in the impact velocity regime of 80–960 m/s. Both longitudinal and lateral manganin stress gauges were employed to study the development of orthogonal components of stress both during and after shock arrival. In light of recent work raising doubts about the interpretation of lateral gauge data, lateral response within the RTM 6 resin was also used to investigate the physical phenomena being measured by the embedded lateral gauges. US–uP and σX–uP Hugoniot relationships were in good agreement with data for similar polymer materials from the literature. Derivation of shear strength behaviour both during and after shock arrival showed evidence of strengthening behind the shock front, attributed to compression of the cross-linked epoxy resin polymer chains. Comparison of the change in lateral stress behind the shock to the behaviour of an epoxy resin possessing a similar US–uP Hugoniot from the literature showed a different response; likely attributable to enhanced cross-linking present in this second resin. This result suggests that the embedded lateral gauges were, at least in part, measuring a physical response behind the shock within the resin. A Hugoniot elastic limit of 0.88 ± 0.04 GPa was derived and found to be of the same order of magnitude as results found elsewhere for similar materials.
KeywordsShear Strength PMMA Incident Shock Longitudinal Stress Lateral Stress
The authors wish to thank Mr Steven Mortimer of Hexcel, Duxford, UK, for supplying the cured resin samples. In addition, the authors gratefully acknowledge the invaluable aid of Mr Gary Cooper in carrying out this work.
- 5.Millett JCF, Bourne NK, Gray GT III, Cooper G (2001) In: Furnish MD, Thadani NN, Horie Y (eds) Shock compression of condensed matter CP620. American Institute of Physics, Melville, NY, pp 131–134Google Scholar
- 10.Marsh SP (1980) LASL Shock Hugoniot Data. University of California Press, Ltd, Los AngelesGoogle Scholar
- 20.HexFlow® RTM 6 180 °C epoxy system for Resin Transfer Moulding monocomponent system: Product Data. Hexcel Composites, Duxford UK: https://doi.org/www.hexcel.com/Products/Downloads/RTM%20Data%20Sheets/
- 22.Safety Data Sheet RTM6. Hexcel Composites (Duxford UK)Google Scholar
- 25.Rosenburg Z, Brar NS (1995) J Appl Phys 77(4):1143Google Scholar
- 27.Appleby-Thomas GJ, Hazell PJ, Stennett C, Cooper G, Helaar K, Diederen AM (2009) J Appl Phys 106:064916-1-064916-9Google Scholar