Actual versus apparent within cell wall variability of nanoindentation results from wood cell walls related to cellulose microfibril angle
- 1.4k Downloads
Hardness and elastic modulus of spruce wood cell walls parallel to their axial direction were investigated by means of nanoindentation. In the secondary cell wall layer S2 of individual earlywood and compression wood tracheids, a systematic pattern variability was found. Several factors potentially affecting nanoindentation results were investigated, i.e. specimen orientation related to the indenter tip, cutting direction during specimen preparation, tip geometry, specimen and fibre inclination, respectively, and finally micro fibril orientation. Mechanical property measurements were correlated with structural features measured by confocal Raman spectroscopy. It was demonstrated that very high variability in the measurement of micromechanical cell wall properties can be caused by unintentional small fibre misalignment by few degrees with regard to the indentation direction caused by sub-optimal specimen preparation.
KeywordsCellulose Microfibril Compression Wood Wood Cell Wall Cell Wall Layer Confocal Raman Spectroscopy
J. Konnerth gratefully acknowledges financial support by the government of the city of Vienna: “Hochschuljubiläumsstiftung” under Grant No. H-2036/2006.
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial License which permits any noncommercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.
- 13.Wang S, Lee SH, Tze WTY, Rials TG, Pharr GM (2006) In: Nanoindentation as a tool for understanding nano-mechanical properties of wood cell wall and biocomposites, AtlantaGoogle Scholar
- 14.Yu Y, Fei B, Zhang B, Yu X (2007) Wood Fiber Sci 39:527Google Scholar
- 17.Konnerth J, Harper D, Lee SH, Rials TG, Gindl W (2008) Holzforschung 62:91Google Scholar
- 21.Page DH, Elhosseiny F, Winkler K, Lancaster APS (1977) Tappi J 60:114Google Scholar
- 23.Vlassak JJ, Nix WD (1993) Philos Mag A Phys Condens Matter 67:1045Google Scholar
Open AccessThis is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial License (https://doi.org/creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0), which permits any noncommercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.