Perfluoroalkylsulfonic acid-functionalized periodic mesostructured organosilica: a strongly acidic heterogeneous catalyst
- 171 Downloads
Periodic mesostructured organosilicas (PMO) were synthesized using 1,2-bis(trimethoxysilyl)ethane (BTME) under acidic conditions using Pluronic 123 as surfactant. The PMO ethane-silicas were then grafted with 1,2,2-trifluoro-2-hydroxy-1-trifluoromethylethane sulfonic acid β-sultone yielding a new perfluoroalkylsulfonic acid PMO catalyst. Ordered hexagonal mesostructures (P6mm) with surface areas up to 500 m2/g and narrow pore size distribution (around 5.1 nm) were obtained. This work thus provides an example of chemical modification for the conception of functionalized PMO acid catalysts. Liquid phase self-condensation of heptanal and acetalization of heptanal by 1-butanol were performed at 30 and 75 °C in the presence of these catalysts and results were compared with those obtained with several other heterogeneous hydrophobic acid catalysts.
KeywordsAcid Site Heptanal Proton Conductivity Sulfonic Acid Group Trimethoxysilyl
The authors thank NSERC for financial support. The authors are grateful to G. Lemay, Dr. S. Mikhailenko, Dr. B. Nohair, and B. Levasseur for assistance in the experimental work.
- 7.Goto Y, Inagaki S (2002) Chem Commun 2410Google Scholar
- 8.Hamoudi S, Kaliaguine S (2002) Chem Commun 2118Google Scholar
- 14.Radu DR, Lai C-Y, Huang J, Shu X, Lin VS-L (2005) Chem Commun 1264Google Scholar
- 15.Alvaro M, Corma A, Das D, Fornés V, Garcia H (2004) Chem Commun 956Google Scholar
- 18.Macquarrie DJ, Tavener SJ, Harmer MA (2005) Chem Commun 2363Google Scholar
- 35.Choi M, Heo W, Kleitz F, Ryoo R (2003) Chem Commun 1340Google Scholar