Effect of chromium content on the microstructure and mechanical properties of multipass MMA, low alloy steel weld metal
- 296 Downloads
Effect of chromium content in the range of 0.05–0.91 wt% on the microstructure and mechanical properties of Cr–Ni–Cu low alloy steel weld metal was investigated. All welds were prepared by manual metal arc welding technique in flat position. Microstructure of the welds was examined by optical and scanning electron microscope in both columnar and reheated regions of the weld metal. The results showed increase in acicular ferrite and microphases formed at the expense of primary ferrite and ferrite with second phase with steady refinement of microstructure. According to these microstructural changes, yield and ultimate tensile stresses, Hardness and Charpy V-Notch impact toughness increased, whereas elongation decreased. Increase in Charpy impact value is thought to be due to fine dispersed spheroidized dark microphases at high chromium contents.
KeywordsFerrite Austenite Weld Metal Impact Toughness Nonmetallic Inclusion
The authors are grateful to Mr. Kargozar, the deputy, and Mr. E. Abbasi, the research manager of “JVOC” for fabrication of laboratory electrodes and preparing all the samples. Mr. Avazkonandeh also thanks “Nahamin Pardazan Asia Co.” for support in quantitative metallography.
- 2.Bhadeshia HKDH, Svensson LE (1993) In: Cerjak H, Easterling KE (eds) Mathematical modeling of weld phenomena. Institute of Materials, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 3.Kou S (2003) Welding metallurgy. John Wiley & Sons, New JerseyGoogle Scholar
- 4.Esterling KE (1985) Introduction to physical metallurgy of welding. Butterworths, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 6.Honeycombe RWK, Bhadeshia HKDH (2006) Steels. Butterworth-Heinemann Publications, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- 7.Bhadeshia HKDH (1997) In: Cerjak H, Bhadeshia HKDH (eds) Mathematical modeling of weld phenomena III. Institute of Materials, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 12.Jorge JCF, Souza LFG, Rebello JMA et al (2000) IIW doc. II-1398-00Google Scholar
- 13.Surian ES, De-Vedia LA (1999) Welding J 78:217sGoogle Scholar
- 14.ANSI/AWS A5.5-96, Specification for low alloy steel electrodes for shielded metal arc welding. American Welding Society, Miami, 1996Google Scholar
- 20.Vander Voort GF (1992) Metals handbook, vol 9. ASM Int., OhioGoogle Scholar
- 22.Bhadeshia HKDH (2001) Bainite in steels. IOM Comunications Ltd., LondonGoogle Scholar