The Fe–Zn–Al–Cr system and its impact on the galvanizing process in chromium-added zinc baths
- 196 Downloads
The zinc rich corner of the Fe–Zn–Al–Cr at 460 °C is of interest for galvanizing because Al is a usual addition element in zinc bath, whereas Cr is naturally present because it is supplied by the stainless steel roller dipping in the Zn bath during the process. Indeed, it is used to understand the formation and growth mechanisms of the solid phases during galvanizing in Al and Cr-added Zn bath. By using additional experimental results in the Al–Cr–Zn and Fe–Zn–Al–Cr systems, the zinc rich corner of the Fe–Zn–Al–Cr system at 460 °C was determined with more accuracy. Thus, new equilibria between the liquid and quaternary phases have been pointed out, namely Al2Cr3 stabilized by Zn and enriched with Fe and τ1, the latter being isotypic with δ-FeZn9. This quaternary system was assessed with the CALPHAD method using the PARROT module of the Thermo-Calc Software. The liquid and solid solutions are described by the Redlich-Kister-Muggianu equations. All the modeled phases are considered as stoichiometric in the binary systems.
KeywordsQuaternary System Steel Strip Inhibition Layer Zinc Bath Gibbs Energy Function
The authors would like to thank UMICORE Research and the ARCELOR Research Centre (OCAS) for their financial support and their interest in the development of this technical innovation.
- 1.Tang NY, Adams GR (1993) In: Marder AR (ed) Phys. metallurgy of zinc coated steel. TMS, Materials Park, OH, p 41Google Scholar
- 2.Perrot P, Tissier JC, Dauphin JY (1992) Z Metallkd 83:785Google Scholar
- 5.Gyurov S (1997) Z Metallkd 88(4):346Google Scholar
- 6.Tang NY, Yu XB, Coady FN (2003) Metall Mater Trans A 34A(3a):879Google Scholar
- 14.Watanabe H, Sato E (1969) Keikinzoku 19(11):499Google Scholar
- 16.David N (2001) Thesis, University Henri Poincaré, NancyGoogle Scholar
- 17.Reumont G (1990) Thesis, Université des Sciences et Technologies de LilleGoogle Scholar
- 20.Massalski TB (1990) Binary alloy phase diagram, 2nd edn. ASM, Materials Park, OHGoogle Scholar
- 21.Raghavan V (1992) Phase diagrams of ternary iron alloys, vol 6A. Indian Inst. Metals, CalcuttaGoogle Scholar
- 24.Villars P, Calvert LD (1991) Pearson’s handbook of crystallographic data for intermetallic phases, 2nd edn. ASM, Materials Park, OHGoogle Scholar
- 26.Saunders N, Rivlin VG (1987) Z Metallkd 78:795Google Scholar