Estimation of the elastic anisotropy of sisal fibres by an inverse method
- 152 Downloads
This paper is concerned with an inverse method for the characterization of the elastic anisotropy of plant fibres. A good knowledge of the properties of composites reinforced with these fibres is essential for the safe design of the related structures. In this work, experimentation and analytical modelling were thoroughly combined to optimize the determination of plant fibre properties from their related composites. The experimental work focused on the manufacture and characterization of unidirectional (UD) sisal/epoxy composites. Tensile tests were performed to measure the axial and off-axes stiffness of these composites. Tests' data were eventualy used in an optimization process based on a micromechanical model to estimate the fibres’ elastic constants. Sisal fibres used herein exhibited a high degree of elastic anisotropy.
KeywordsFibre Orientation Fibre Volume Fraction Elastic Anisotropy Jute Fibre Plant Fibre
Our thanks go to Mr Jacques Lepetit of INRA, Clermont-Ferrand, for his technical support.
- 1.Persson K (2000) Doctoral thesis in structural mechanics. Lund University, SwedenGoogle Scholar
- 2.Harrington JJ, Booker R, Astley RJ (1995) Holz Roh Werkst 56(1):37Google Scholar
- 5.Neagu RC, Gamstedt EK, Lindström M (2004) Proceedings of the 11th European conference on composite materials (ECCM11), Athens, GreeceGoogle Scholar
- 7.Berthelot JM (2005) Matériaux composites: comportement et analyse des structures, 4th edn. Tec et Doc., Lavoisier, ParisGoogle Scholar
- 8.Christensen RM (1991) Mechanics of composite materials. Krieger Publishing Company, Malabar, FLGoogle Scholar
- 9.Hashin Z, Rosen B (1964) J Mech Phys Solids 31:223Google Scholar
- 14.Madsen K, Nielsen HB (2002) Supplementary notes for 02611 optimization and data fitting, IMM, DTU. https://doi.org/www.imm.dtu.dk/
- 16.Moré JJ (1977) In: Watson GA (ed) Numerical analysis, Lecture notes in mathematics 630. Springer Verlag, pp 105–116Google Scholar
- 17.Ntenga R, Atangana Ateba J, Beakou A, Ayina Ohandja L (2006) Proceedings of the 12th European conference on composite materials (ECCM12), Biaritz, FranceGoogle Scholar