Characterization of long fiber thermoplastic/metal laminates
- 320 Downloads
Long fiber thermoplastic (LFT) composite/metal laminate (LML) is a hybrid composite consisting of alternate layers of metals such as aluminum and an LFT composite, which combines advantages from both the constituents. The LFT/Al laminates (LMLs) were processed by compression molding and were characterized for their Young’s modulus, mechanical strength, and low-velocity impact (LVI) properties. The average values of specific elastic modulus and specific tensile strength were approximately 20 GPa/(gcm−3) and 108.5 MPa/(gcm−3), respectively. Failure mechanisms included delamination between LFT composite and Al, fiber fracture and pullout in LFT composite, and shear fracture of aluminum and LFT composite layers. Rule-of-mixtures (ROM) predictions of laminate properties in tension compared well with the experimental values. Specific perforation energy of the laminates determined by LVI tests was 7.58 J/(kgm−2), which is significantly greater than that of the LFT composite alone, 1.72 J/(kgm−2). Overall, the LML showed significant improvement in the properties as compared to the LFT composite.
KeywordsHybrid Composite Compression Molding Poly Ether Ether Ketone Tensile Side Discontinuous Fiber
Authors gratefully acknowledge the financial support from Federal Transit Administration (FTA), Contract # W911NF04-2-018. We thank Mr. Pavan Chintalapati for his help with aluminum surface preparation and Dr. Griffin for help in taking SEM pictures.
- 1.Gramann PJ, Davis BA, Rios AC (2003) Compression molding. Carl-Hanser-Verlag, MunichGoogle Scholar
- 7.Chawla N, Chawla KK (2006) Metal matrix composites. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 12.https://doi.org/www.quadrantcomposites.com. Accessed 15 Aug 2007
- 13.https://doi.org/www.e-lft.com. Accessed 15 Aug 2007
- 14.Richard B, Heinrich E, Oliver G, Wenzel K, Frank H (2004) In: Int SAMPE Tech Conf 3145Google Scholar
- 15.Meyers MA, Chawla KK (1998) Mechanical behavior of materials. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle RiverGoogle Scholar