Fracture behavior of nitrile rubber-cellulose II nanocomposites
- 185 Downloads
Nanocomposites of nitrile rubber (NBR) and cellulose II (Cel II) were prepared by co-coagulation of nitrile rubber latex and cellulose xanthate mixtures. The effect of the addition of increasing amounts of Cell II, varying from 0 to 30 phr, on the mechanical behavior of a NBR was analyzed. The fracture mechanisms of the nitrile rubber-cellulose II (NBR/Cel II) nanocomposites after tension and tear tests was investigated by scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and correlated to the test results. It was found that the addition of Cell II to NBR leads to a gradual change in the stress at break, and the samples with 20 phr of Cel II showed the highest resistance; as the cellulose content is increased to 30 phr, the strain at break decreases. The SEM fractographic analyses of NBR/Cel II nanocomposites, with cellulose content up to 30 support the observed mechanical behavior of the material. The results are presented and discussed. The obtainment of NBR/Cel II nanocomposites was proven by transmission electron microscopy (TEM).
KeywordsVulcanization Zinc Sulfate Rubber Matrix Rubber Composite Nitrile Rubber
The authors thank the Brazilian Funding Agencies, CNPq, CAPES and FAPERJ for providing the financial support, VICUNHA Têxtil S. A. for supplying cellulose xanthate and NITRIFLEX S. A. Indústria e Comércio for supplying nitrile rubber latex.
- 3.Shadu S, Bhowmick AK (2005) J Mater Sci 49:1663Google Scholar
- 7.Nunes RCR, Visconte LLY (2000) Natural fibers reinforced elastomeric composites. In: Frollini E, Leão AL, Mattoso LHC (eds) Natural polymers and agrofibers composites. Embrapa Instrumentação Agropecuária, SP, Brazil, 135Google Scholar
- 8.Allen SL, Turvey RW, Bolker HI (1975) Appl Polym Sympos 3(28):903Google Scholar
- 11.Martins AF, Visconte LLY, Schuster RH, Boller F, Nunes RCR (2004) Kautsch Gummi Kunstst 57(9):446Google Scholar
- 12.Martins AF (2002) PhD Thesis, Instituto de Macromoléculas Professora Eloisa Mano, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, BrazilGoogle Scholar
- 13.Peres ECC, Nunes RCR, Visconte LLY (2001) PI 0105116-4 Google Scholar
- 14.Brandt K, Schuster RH, Nunes RCR (2006) Kautsch Gummi Kunstst 59(10):511Google Scholar
- 16.Nunes RCR, Martins AF, Visconte LLY, Pereira RA, Perez CAC, Mano EB (2004) J Rubber Res 7(1):1Google Scholar
- 17.Chawla KK (1998) Composite materials—science and engineering, 2nd edn. Springer-Verlag, New YorkGoogle Scholar