Line narrowing effects and enhanced back scattering from ZnO colloids
- 58 Downloads
The dependence of the fluorescence emission intensity from nano ZnO colloid as a function of incident laser power is investigated. Emission in the near UV region from ZnO particles in diethylene glycol medium is studied using frequency tripled radiations at 355 nm from Nd-YAG laser. The spectrum, which was broad at lower pump intensities, exhibits an increase in the intensity as well as line narrowing above a threshold. The emission occurs in all directions and varies with pumping area. Results indicate the phenomenon of random lasing action due to multiple scattering inside the highly disordered medium. Coherent back scattering experiments confirm multiple scattering and weak localization effects in these samples. These preliminary studies show that colloidal nano ZnO medium is a promising candidate for random lasers.
KeywordsMultiple Scattering Incident Laser Diethylene Diethylene Glycol Pump Intensity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N. M. LAWANDY, R. M. BALACHANDRAN, A. S. L. GOMES and E. SAUVAIN, Nature 368 (1994) 436.Google Scholar
- 3.R. M. BALACHANDRAN and N. M. LAWANDY, Optics Letters, 20(1995) 1271.Google Scholar
- 4.A. MITRA and R. K. THERAJA, J. Appl. Phy., 89 (4) (2001) 2025.Google Scholar
- 5.H. CAO, J. Y. XU, E. W. SEELIIG and R. P. H. CHANG, Appl. Phys. Lett. 76 (21) (2000) 2997.Google Scholar
- 6.H. CAO, Y. G. ZHAO, H. C. ONG, S. T. HO, J. Y. DAI, J. Y. WU and R. P. H.CHANG, Appl. Phys. Lett. 73 (1998) 3656.Google Scholar
- 7.H. CAO, J. Y. XU, S. H. CHANG and S. T. HO, Phys. Rev. B., 61 (2000) 1985.Google Scholar
- 8.A. VAN DIJKEN, E. A. MEULENKAMP, D. VANMAEKELBERGH and A. MEIJERINK, Journal of Luminiscence, 87(2000) 454.Google Scholar
- 9.D. JEZEQUEL, J. GUENOT, N. JOUINI and F. FIEVET, J. Mater. Res. 10 (1) (1995) 77.Google Scholar
- 10.R. COREY, M. KISSNER and P. SAULNIER, J. Am. Phys. 63 (1995) 561.Google Scholar
- 12.R. VISWANATHA, S. SAPRA, B. SATPATI, P. V. SATYAM, B. N. DEV and D. D. SHARMA, J. Mater. Chem. 14 (2004) 661.Google Scholar