Welding of aluminium by the MIG process with indirect electric arc (MIG-IEA)
- 281 Downloads
A novel modification of the metal inert gas (MIG) welding method, which was developed to weld metal matrix composites, was applied to join plates of aluminium 12.5 mm thick. The plates were prepared with square edges and with a small single-V preparation with an angle of 45° in the upper part. The electric arc was indirectly applied on the single-V butt weld over strips of Al-2024 placed on top of the joint. Thermal analysis showed that the efficiency of the MIG process with indirect electric arc (IEA) is increased due to the reduction of heat losses and fully penetrated welds with a high depth-to-width ratio can be produced as compared to plain MIG welding in which partial penetration and lack of lateral fusion were observed. Microstructural examination of the welds revealed distinct characteristics such as partially melted grains trapped within the weld next to the fusion line for IEA welds and the typical epitaxial and columnar growth from the base metal partially melted grains for plain welds, i.e. direct application of the electric arc (DEA).
KeywordsWelding Base Metal Weld Metal Welding Process Weld Pool
The authors would like to thank Coordinación de la Investigación Científica of the UMSNH for funding this study and to Dra. Lourdes Mondragón from Instituto Tecnologico de Morelia for the facilities consented in the use of the SEM.
- 1.American Welding Society (1976) Welding handbook, 7th edn, vol 1. American Welding Society, p 71Google Scholar
- 2.Dupont JN, Murder AR (1995) Weld J 74:406Google Scholar
- 3.Furschbach PW, Knorovsky GA (1991) Weld J 70:287Google Scholar
- 4.Choo RT, Szekely J, Westhoff RC (1990) Weld J 60:346Google Scholar
- 5.Kim YS, Mceligot DM, Wagar TW (1991) Weld J 70:20Google Scholar
- 6.Lu MJ, Kou S (1989) Weld J 68:382Google Scholar
- 7.Lu MJ, Kou S (1989) Weld J 68:452Google Scholar
- 8.Kim JW, Na SJ (1995) Weld J 74:141Google Scholar
- 12.Malin V (1995) Weld J 74:305-sGoogle Scholar
- 13.Rosenthal D (1946) Trans ASME 68:849Google Scholar
- 14.Christensen N, de Davies VL, Gjermundsen K (1965) Br Weld J 12:54Google Scholar