Study of electrical conductivity changes and phase transitions in TiO2 doped ZrO2
- 143 Downloads
The electrical conductivity in ZrO2 doped with various molar ratios of TiO2 has been measured at different temperatures. Phase transitions depending on the temperature for different molar compositions were investigated by doping of the samples. The conductivity is also found to increase with rise in temperature till 200 °C and thereafter decreases due to collapse of the fluorite framework. A second rise in conductivity in the doped samples around 462 °C is observed due to phase transition of ZrO2. X-ray powder diffraction recorded at high temperature show the effect of doping and the phase relationships of doped materials. DTA was also carried out for confirming doping effect and phase transition in samples.
KeywordsTiO2 Oxygen Vacancy Baddeleyite Pure ZrO2 Oxygen Vacancy Formation
The authors are grateful to Dr. Steven L. Suib (USA) for providing X-ray measurements. The authors are also thankful to UGC New Delhi (F.30–83/2004) for financial assistance.
- 2.Fahmiand A, Minot C (1993) Phys Rev B 47:17717Google Scholar
- 12.Wilson G, Glasser FP (1989) Br Ceram Trans J 88:69Google Scholar
- 25.Samsonov GV (1982) The oxide handbook, IFI/PLENUM, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 26.Rao CNR, Rao KJ (1978) Phase transitions in solids. McGraw-Hill, New York, p 263Google Scholar
- 27.Nair SM, Yahya AI, Afaq Ahmad (1996) J Solid State Chem 122:349Google Scholar
- 35.Levin EM, Mcmurdie NF (1975) In: Reser MK (ed) Phase diagrams for ceramics, The American Ceramic Society, Columbus, OH, p. 76Google Scholar