Investigation of the ceramifying process of modified silicone–silicate compositions
- 578 Downloads
Glass frits were added into silicone-based composites with the aim to improve low temperature ceramification at elevated temperatures. The effect of glass frits on the properties of ceramic residue is investigated. Field emission scanning electron microscopy (FESEM), electron probe microchemical analysis (EPMA) and X-ray diffraction analysis (XRD) showed that glass frits reacted via a eutectic reaction with mica and silica. Electrical conductivity measurements at elevated temperatures showed a decline in volume resistivity with glass frit addition. It was concluded that increased conductivity is a result of ionic conduction of the glass phase produced by eutectic reactions between frits, silica and mica at high temperatures. Thermal mechanical analysis (TMA) was used to explore the dimensional changes of these composites during programmed heat treatment.
KeywordsPDMS Flexural Strength Eutectic Reaction Dimensional Change Liquid Phase Sinter
The authors thank Dr E. Slansky for his help with the XRD analysis, Ms Irene Wainwright for her help with the XRF analysis and Mr B. Searle for his help with the EPMA.
- 1.Lipowitz J (1982) J Fire Flammability 15:39Google Scholar
- 4.Lipowitz J (1976) Fire Flammability 7:482Google Scholar
- 5.Kashiwagi T, Clearly G, Davis GC, Lupinski JH (1993) A non-halogenated, flame retarded polycarbonate. In: Proceedings of the international conference for the promotion of advanced fire resistant aircraft interior materials. Federal Aviation Administration Technical Center, Atlantic City, New Jersey, p 157Google Scholar
- 8.Dvornic PR, Lenz RW (1990) High temperature siloxane elastomers. Huethig & Wepf Verlag, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 9.Dennis H, Zhu HD, Kantor SW, Macknight WJ (1998) In: Lyon RE (ed) Fire resistant materials: progress report, Final Report DOT/FAA/AR-97/100. U.S. Department of Transportation, Washington, DC, November 1998, p 59Google Scholar
- 12.Weil ED (1987) Plastics compounding (January–February) 31:40Google Scholar
- 14.Marosi G, Csontos I, Ravadits I, Anna P, Bertalanand G, Toth A (1999) Recent Adv Flame Retard Polym Mater 10:88Google Scholar
- 20.Barlow G, Manning DA (1998) Br Ceram Soc Trans 97:122Google Scholar
- 24.Ungureanu MC, Levy M, Souquet JL (2000) Ceramics—Silikaty 44(3):81Google Scholar