Comments on the phenomena underlying pressure stimulated currents in dielectric rock materials
- 110 Downloads
It has been observed that there is a systematic detection of weak pressure stimulated electric currents (PSC) in polycrystalline and amorphous solids during or after an application of mechanical stress upon them. An interpretation of the mechanisms governing the electrical behaviour of solid structures when they undergo uniaxial stress tests is presented. In numerous experiments, repetitive stress loadings and unloadings have been conducted, the corresponding PSC have been recorded, and the behaviour of the material is interpreted with respect to PSC emission. The dominant conclusion is that the behaviour of the solid depends on the overall stress it has suffered and that PSC is related with a memory effect which associates current emission with the previous history of the sample.
KeywordsMemory Effect Material Sample Current Emission Stress Cycle Marble Sample
This work is partially supported by the “Archimedes” project: “Support of Research Groups of Technological Educational Institutions”, sub-project entitled “The electrical behaviour of geomaterials under conditions of axial mechanical stress” in the framework of the Operational Program for Education and Initial Vocational Training.
- 1.Hayakawa M (ed) (1999) In: Electromagnetic phenomena related to earthquake prediction. Terra Scientific PublishingGoogle Scholar
- 2.Hayakawa M, Fujinawa Y (eds) (1994) In: Electromagnetic phenomena related to earthquake prediction. Terra Scientific Publishing Company, TokyoGoogle Scholar
- 3.Hayakawa M, Molchanov OA (eds) (2002) In: Seismo Electromagnetics: Lithosphere-Atmosphere-Ionosphere Coupling. TERRAPUB, TokyoGoogle Scholar
- 11.Anastasiadis C, Triantis D, Stavrakas I, Vallianatos F (2004) Ann Geophys 47:21Google Scholar
- 16.Anastasiadis C, Triantis D, Kyriazopoulos A, Stavrakas I In: Proceedings of the 5th National Conference of the Hellenic Society for Non-Destructive Testing, Athens, Greece, 2005Google Scholar
- 17.Kaiser J (1953) Archiv Eisenhuttenwesen 24:43Google Scholar
- 19.Anastassopoulos A, Kouroussis D, Nikolaidis V, Proust A, Dutton AG, Blanch M, Jones LE, Vionis P, Lekou D, van Delft DRV, Joosse P, Philippidis T, Kossivas T, Fernando G (2002) J Acoustic Emiss 20:229–237Google Scholar
- 20.Beattie AG (1983) J Acoust Emiss 2:95Google Scholar