Composite polymer derived ceramic system for oxidizing environments
- 465 Downloads
Preceramic polymers and expansion agents are being investigated to produce composite ceramic coatings for oxidation protection of metallic substrates. In this paper, we present results of a systematic approach to selecting the preceramic polymer and expansion agents and the optimization of the processing parameters to produce composite ceramics. Six commercially available poly(silsesquioxane) polymers and a polysiloxane were studied. In addition, several metals and an intermetallic were considered as potential expansion agents. Based on this study, the most desirable polymer/expansion agent combination and optimal processing parameters have been identified.
KeywordsPyrolysis Siloxane Composite Coating Ceramic Yield Expansion Agent
The authors would like to thank the DOE Industrial Technologies Program for financial support (Project No. 25630-A-N4). Special thanks also go to Dr. Yigal Blum (SRI, Inc.), Dr. Eric Minford (Air Products), and Dr. Michael Scheffler (University of Washington, Bavarian Center for Applied Energy Research) for their helpful discussions.
- 1.Rice RW (1983) Cer Bull 62(8):889Google Scholar
- 5.Stackpoole M (2002) In: Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of WashingtonGoogle Scholar
- 6.Suzuki T, Inoue K, Koshi I, Isoda T (1991) In: Proceedings of the 2nd International SAMPE Symposium, December 2001, 11–14, p 216Google Scholar
- 11.Zeschky J, Lo SH, Scheffler M, Hoeppel H, Arnold M, Greil P (2002) Mater Res Adv Tech 93(8):812Google Scholar
- 13.Liew L, Zhang W, An L, Shah S, Luo R, Lui Y, Cross T, Dunn ML, Bright V, Raj R (2001) Am Cer Soc Bull 80(5):25Google Scholar
- 21.Baney RH (1999) Poly (phenylsilsesquioxane), In: Polymer data handbook, edited by Mark JE, Oxford University Press, p 734Google Scholar
- 24.Blum YD (1992) Hydroxysiloxane precursors for ceramic manufacture. US Patent 5,128,494, July 7, 1992Google Scholar
- 25.Blum YD, Johnson SM, Gusman MI (1997) Hydridosiloxanes as precursors to ceramic products, US Patent 5,635,250, June 3, 1997Google Scholar
- 26.Schwartz SM, Henager CH, Gianuzzi LA (2004) Presented at the 28th International Cocoa Beach Conference & Exposition on Advanced Ceramics and Composites, Cocoa Beach, FL, January 2004Google Scholar